'''Basic Trope''': A video game attempts to explain why your death is not permanent.
* '''Straight''': [[TheHero The Hero's]] squad's [[TheEngineer engineer]] shows him a complicated piece of machinery that will revive him behind friendly lines in the event of his death.
* '''Exaggerated''': ...and then proceeds to [[TechnoBabble explain exactly how it does that,]] claiming that it is so fast and efficient that [[DeathIsASlapOnTheWrist you may not even notice you've died prior to respawning.]]
* '''Downplayed''': The Hero is just told that there's equipment in place to revive him, no elaboration given. The player can learn more by making the right choices, but they have to go out of their way.
* '''Justified''': The mission TheHero is about to embark on is a suicide mission.
* '''Inverted: ''' FinalDeath.
* '''Subverted''': The machine runs on AppliedPhlebotinum, and TheEngineer has no idea how it works...
* '''Double Subverted''': ...until an ambassador from a race of SufficientlyAdvancedAliens visits the battlefield and explains it, allowing TheEngineer to alter and improve its design by integrating Earthly technology.
** The machine is a massive Rube Goldberg device incorporating elements of [[NoodleImplements steampunk, cyberpunk, alien technology, and a hamster running on a wheel.]]
** The Engineer's explanation makes no sense whatsoever, and he acts like it should be obvious that getting squirted with lemonade from an elephant will revive people from death.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The machine is notoriously unreliable, and only works half the time.
* '''Averted''': The machine is not shown.
* '''Enforced''': ???
* '''Lampshaded''': [[MetalGearing "So...basically, the machine lets me respawn?"]]
* '''Invoked''': The machine is half complete when TheHero sees it, and he only has access to it once TheEngineer completes it.
* '''Exploited''': The enemy is aware that this machine exists. When TheHero is killed, they're able to take control of it and force him to respawn behind enemy lines, where they easily capture him and hold him as a prisoner of war.
* '''Defied''': TheHero is a DeathSeeker, and refuses to use the machine when given the opportunity.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': Use of the machine is protested heavily by people who believe that using it is tampering in God's domain, and there's a discussion of a law being enacted to outlaw its use.
Back to DeathIsNotPermanent
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???