'''Basic Trope''': A female character is kidnapped and in need of rescue.
* '''Straight''': Princess Alice is kidnapped by the Big Bad and must be rescued by Bob.
** Princess Alice spends more time in dungeons than in her own rooms.
** DamselScrappy (potentially)
* '''Downplayed''': Princess Alice would happily kick the asses of her captors and take names afterwards, if she wasn't greatly outnumbered by her kidnappers, who are all heavily armed and have her imprisoned within a practically inescapable prison. Since she's more practical than suicidal, she figures it's more sensible to wait for rescue rather than try to break herself out.
** Princess Alice is wheelchair-bound so she's defenseless against a physical attack.
** Princess Alice lived a sheltered life, and doesn't have the skills to defend herself or escape without guards.
** Princess Alice's agricultural studies, on work vital to the kingdom, absorb so much of her time that she couldn't train herself to a level of dealing with specifically trained kidnappers.
** Princess Alice, a civilian not trained to fight, was trapped by an enemy attack and gave up her chance to escape to get some more children away from the enemy.
** Princess Alice was blinded by a surprise attack and kidnapped; she hasn't been trained to work blind.
* '''Inverted''': Alice is the ActionGirl who saves anyone in danger.
** Bob goes to rescue Alice but she proves [[DamselOutOfDistress perfectly capable]] [[RedundantRescue of rescuing herself]].
** Alice [[EvilAllAlong is working for]] the Big Bad, or she IS the BigBad.
** DeliberatelyDistressedDamsel, DecoyDamsel
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Despite showing some traits that make her look like a fighter, Alice ends up proving to be a FauxActionGirl and is recaptured.
** Alice fights off her initial captors, but before she can waltz away from her victory, ends up being [[ZergRush overpowered by a second wave of superior forces]].
** Alice is a barely competent RoyalBrat, and Bob is a bored PunchClockHero tired of rescuing her.
** Alice is so [[GenreSavvy used to being held captive that she's capable of predicting everything her captors will do]], and responds to the situation with [[DefiantCaptive weary, resigned sarcasm.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice gets her self into a situation where she needs to be rescued. She not only rescues herself but also her rescuers. Then she pulls a HeroicSacrifice so they can escape a bigger threat.
** Nobody bothers trying to kidnap Princess Alice, because its [[PragmaticVillainy not in their best interests to do so]].
** They don't kidnap her because they know she's an ActionGirl.
* '''Enforced''': "The BigBad needs to be established as such. He has to KickTheDog is a way that will affect Bob on a [[ItsPersonal personal]] level and give him a justification to chase after him. Let's have the BigBad kidnap his girlfriend!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "I hope Bob arrives soon. I don't like being locked up in here."
* '''Invoked''': "We need a hostage worth good money. Princess Alice is in no position to defend herself; capture her."
** Princess Alicia deliberately goes down to the crime-ridden docks to be captured, thus giving the king's men an excuse to break into the house of the high-ranking noble who is the head of the kidnappers' guild.
** Princess Alys goes into bandit territory to haggle with the bandit chief, knowing he is treacherous -- and that her capture will sort out TheSoCalledCoward and MilesGloriosus among her suitors.
* '''Defied''': Princess Alice has been trained in self-defense, so she dispatches those sent to capture her.
* '''Discussed''': "You can't expect Princess Alice to save herself... she's badly outnumbered and she's had no weapons training."
* '''Conversed''': "By using the damsel in distress plot, the producers can appeal to their target audience; role players."
** Princess Alice is kidnapped by the BigBad, and put through BreakTheCutie, in which the BigBad tells her that his EvilPlan only works because of [[ReasonYouSuckSpeech her helplessness]]. Bob saves Alice, but the trauma of being unable to do anything while Bob risked his life to save her has severely scarred her. She breaks up with him because she doesn't want to be TheLoad anymore.
** While being kidnapped, Alice is [[ColdBloodedTorture beaten, starved,]] [[RapeAsDrama raped]], subject to horrific and innovative experiments, and god knows what else. By the time Bob reaches Alice, she is a gibbering, BodyHorror-ridden trainwreck.
** Alice has been kidnapped or her mentality was put in distress... and ''nobody saves her'', despite her pleas because one obstacle or another.
** Alice is rescued by DesignatedHero Bob who only rescues her because he wants a reward.
** Princess Alice is kidnapped goes through a HeroicBSOD because her inability to rescue herself put her friends/bodyguards in danger but [[PluckyGirl she but pulls herself together]] when her diplomatic skills are needed to avert a war. Bob reminds her that, even though she has to be rescued from physical danger sometimes, [[TheFace she's been the one to get the rest of the party out of political danger just as many times.]]
** Princess Alice is kidnapped by a thug that [[AffablyEvil fancies himself a gentleman.]] The situation is terrifying for her but she is not abused.
** After a long while of nobody answering, finally there comes Bob the Selfless Hero arrives on the scene and takes it upon himself to save her from distress.
** Bob starts the rescue OnlyInItForTheMoney but hearing others talk about her qualities makes him fall for her.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Princess Alice getting kidnapped is an ExcusePlot to get the story going, and happens every week, [[OnceAnEpisode like clockwork]]. Princess Alice is resigned to this, and greets each kidnapping with a sigh, wiling away her hours in the dungeons.
* '''Played For Drama''': Princess Alice being kidnapped is a devastating experience for her, Bob ([[LoveInterest her rescuer and lover]]), and the people of her kingdom. Each time it happens, Bob goes through much angst over allowing her to be taken again, and Princess Alice gets progressively more insecure in her own power each time she allows herself to be taken, which impedes her abilities as a ruler.
Help! [[DamselInDistress I don't know how to get back!]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???