'''Basic Trope''': A character regularly betrays his allies.
* '''Straight''': Bob betrays the RagtagBunchOfMisfits to go work for TheEmpire, which he later betrays to go work for TheFederation.
** [[NewJobsAsThePlotDemands Bob can't stay loyal to any faction more than one episode at a time, sometimes even less.]]
** Bob is a PersonOfMassDestruction who turns on any faction that appears to be winning, [[MutuallyAssuredDestruction so the war will never end.]]
** Bob turns on his allies, [[StupidEvil even if doing so puts him at a disadvantage.]]
** [[MindScrew Bob betrays his allies every few seconds. How he accomplishes this is a mystery.]]
** Bob is actually UsefulNotes/SchrodingersCat: nobody knows which faction he's on until they observe him.
** [[UpToEleven Bob becomes a time traveler and even manages to backstab his future self.]] Then he goes ''back'' in time to backstab his past self. [[RunningGag But then he remembers that his past self was a loyal person, so he had already backstabbed his past self....except ]][[StableTimeLoop his betraying of his past self was the reason he's a chronic backstabber in the first place.]]
* '''Downplayed''': Bob takes advantage of whichever side he's working for to line his own pockets, but won't actively betray them beyond that.
** Bob is an opportunist who doesn't believe in pledging loyalty to any organization, ideal or higher power, but is only concerned with what benefits him.
** Bob's agenda doesn't align perfectly to any of the factions-if something looks better for his plans than his current allegiances, he jumps ship.
* '''Inverted''': [[Franchise/SonicTheHedgehog Every single time Bob attempts to collaborate with someone, he always ends up getting betrayed at some point by the other party.]]
* '''Subverted''': Bob is a DoubleAgent loyal to TheEmpire, and was only faking his betrayal towards them...
* '''Double Subverted''': [[DoubleReverseQuadrupleAgent ...until he goes rogue against them too.]]
** Bob requires to have a clause in his contract that explicitly allows him to betray.
** Bob keeps a [[LongList enormous checklist]] of the people he's betrayed.
** [[Webcomic/TheLastDaysOfFoxhound Bobís chronic backstabbing disorder is an actual disorder.]]
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob betrayed the RagTagBunchOfMisfits for TheEmpire, betrayed TheEmpire for TheFederation, then revealed that he never really betrayed the RagTagBunchOfMisfits and only partially betrayed TheEmpire on the Misfits' behalf. In consequence, betraying TheFederation. In the end, it turns-out he was a high-ranking member of TheCartel playing the RagTagBandOfMisfits for profit until his experiences "protecting" the misfits by pretending to betray them made him go-through a change of heart... and betray said cartel.
* '''Averted''': Bob stays loyal to the RagtagBunchOfMisfits the entire show.
* '''Enforced''': Bob betrayed the RagTagBunchOfMisfits for TheEmpire, but wasn't originally supposed to betray TheEmpire as well, but when the producers wanted more drama out of Bob, they demanded he betray TheEmpire and work for TheFederation.
** "Well, I can't say I'm surprised you stabbed us in the back, after what you did to those misfits".
** "Whose side are you on?" "[[HeelFaceRevolvingDoor You mean right now?]]"
* '''Invoked''': Alice wants to betray the RagTagBunchOfMisfits and expects Bob to do so as well, so she prepares to betray the Misfits with him.
* '''Exploited''': [[GodSaveUsFromTheQueen Queen Alice]] of TheEmpire already knew Bob had ChronicBackstabbingDisorder, and ran a BatmanGambit hinging-upon the fact he would betray TheEmpire and defect to TheFederation.
* '''Defied''': TheEmpire tempts Bob to betray the RagTagBunchOfMisfits, but Bob stands strong and refuses.
* '''Discussed''': "Bob betrayed you guys, too?"
* '''Conversed''': "Bob already betrayed RagTagBunchOfMisfits and TheEmpire, he'll probably betray TheFederation, too".
* '''Implied''': A character will mention Bob has been in several alliances before, but Bob was never invited back due to bad blood.
** Word of Bob's tendency to betray his allies quickly spreads wide and far, to the point where no one trusts him and he is eventually RewardedAsATraitorDeserves.
** Bob and his "friends" [[WeAreStrugglingTogether are so busy backstabbing each other, jockying for power, and following their own agendas that nothing gets done]], and the "slow, inefficient, lesser" members of the QuirkyMinibossSquad manage to all but walk past them and get what they want without too much trouble.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob reveals that he only left the RagtagBunchOfMisfits after learning that their leader was a WellIntentionedExtremist, and he left TheEmpire after learning that joining them was also a mistake. Bob's loyalty is to his [[NeutralGood ideals]], not to any one group.
** Bob comes out on top of them all.
Go back to ChronicBackstabbingDisorder before Bob betrays you too.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???