'''Basic Trope''': Children are used as soldiers.
* '''Straight''': For whatever reason, children are recruited to serve in armed forces.
** Kindergarteners are trained in combat.
** Babies are pulled out of the womb and given AK-47's.
** A couple of soldiers are younger than one would expect.
** Teenagers serve regularly in civil defense, or are allowed in a specialized military training course before they are old enough to be assigned to combat units.
** During an exercise the army, [[GenreSavvy knowing that any battlefield will probably have a lot of civilians on it]] hires teenagers from a nearby town to play the role. All reasonable efforts are taken for their safety. During some exercises, some do roleplay as ChildSoldiers. But of course the only weapons they shoot or have shot at them are paintball guns or similar devices.
** [[DoomedHometown The village is razed to the ground]] and the children who somehow survive band together and fight to seek revenge on the raiders.
** Births are not well documented, enabling [[YoungerThanTheyLook children who look old enough]] to lie about their ages and apply to the army.
** In this culture the age of adulthood is younger
** The city is besieged by the EvilOverlord. Everyone might as well be a soldier as he plans to KillEmAll anyway, with children being no exception.
** Bob was raised by a CampFollower in an eighteenth century army. He knew no other life but the army so when he was old enough he became a drummer boy. If he survives he will become an infantryman himself.
* '''Inverted''': Only the oldest people in this world's society are allowed to fight as they have lived their lives to the full.
* '''Subverted''': Children go to great lengths to try and volunteer but an army captain absolutely refuses them on moral grounds.
* '''Double Subverted''': The children then become guerrilla fighters and assist somehow.
** Newborn babies are handed guns and given over to the DrillSergeantNasty who is [[EnfanteTerrible a baby]] himself.
** The actual "war" is a lot less serious, such as a massive scale...waterballoon war.
* '''Zig Zagged''': A captain recruits children to fight, then his conscience gets the better of him and he can't stand to force them to fight - looking as though their role in the story will be over, then they rescue him when he's taken prisoner, then he ''still'' can't force them to fight, however one is a TeenGenius who devises a strategy to take the enemy stronghold or another is TheHero whose MagicSword or ability to pilot a HumongousMecha is necessary to win the war.
* '''Averted''': All soldiers are adults.
* '''Enforced''': "We need to expand our market demographic. Stick a couple of kids in the show." "But sir, it's a show about bloody war." "Just do it!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "My army corps is a goddamned nursery!"
** Children are forcibly recruited into the army.
** "I [[YoungerThanTheyLook look old enough]], so I'll lie about my age and join the army to protect my country!"
* '''Exploited''': ''Lets get some photos of dead ChildSoldiers. It will be sure to be on the front page."
** A less notable subversion wherein the children are not allowed to participate in the combat they seek.
** A minion of [[BigBad General Taisen]] suggests this to him after he accidentally kills the adults of the town he was hoping to brainwash into more soldiers. [[EvenEvilHasStandards Taisen reacts with absolute horror and shoots him in the face.]]
* '''Discussed''': "We seem to be looking after more and more kids these days, huh Alice?"
* '''Conversed''': "Stories about children who fight in war break my heart."
* '''Deconstructed''': The ethical implications of this are explored in great detail.
* '''Reconstructed''': The KidHero breaks out of his HeroicBSOD and plays a major part in an upcoming battle.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob is a KidHero who was put on the front lines with his friends. He and his friends always played war games and are exited for the real deal. Then the battle begins, and Bob is introduced to the hell that is war. Within minutes or even seconds, Bob watched his friends get slaughtered on the battlefield. Bob is also forced to kill people during the fighting, but never enjoys it. The war breaks him, and he comes home a ShellShockedVeteran in the shell of a young boy.
Eh, you look old enough, and we do need some more warm bodies, so...you're in! Head back to ChildSoldiers, soldier!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???