'''Basic Trope''': PowerAtAPrice -- [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin using it cost you your lifespan]], sometimes accompanied with RapidAging.
* '''Straight''': [[TheHero Bob]]'s DangerousForbiddenTechnique, "[[KamehameHadoken Tropebuster]]", cost him a few months off his lifespan.
** Each use of "Tropebuster" cost him about one year, and he's visibly older after he use it.
** Using Tropebuster will kill him right after it's executed, as it cost him his ''entire'' lifespan.
* '''Downplayed''': CastFromHitPoints.
** Every living being has (mostly unreplenishable) LifeForce, Tropebuster is a technique that converts this life force into a deadly attack.
** Bob is a robot, using Tropebuster stresses his system and degenerates it beyond repair.
** Using Tropebuster increases Bob's lifespan.
** Tropebuster is an attack directed at the enemy's life force, causing RapidAging in them.
** Tropebusting is a practice used to extend lifespan at the cost of permanent losses in power.
* '''Subverted''': We see a DistantFinale where Bob is alive and kicking at the venerable age of 108.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** But it's only because Bob had become a lich, he actually died from using Tropebuster long time ago.
** That is Bob v2.0
* '''Parodied''': After Bob use Tropebuster, his friends throw a birthday party for him since he have grown older by about one year.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob learns the Tropebuster, which is CastFromHitPoints. He (and the audience) thinks that means permanent life force, but it actually [[KiAttacks uses Ki]], which regenerates. Then Bob needs more power for the Tropebuster and has used/is using all his Ki already, so he uses his true lifeforce to fuel it further.
* '''Averted''': No attacks cost lifespan to use.
* '''Enforced''': "TheHero needs an ultimate attack that can reliably win any battle, but one that he can't simply use everytime."
* '''Lampshaded''': "I see your aura grow paler everytime you use that attack."
* '''Invoked''': Emperor Evulz curses the Tropebuster somehow, or destroys its previous power source, so that it drains Bob's lifeforce.
** Emperor Evulz baits Bob into using the Tropebuster repeatedly, while he dodges and taunts - or worse, blocks.
** Bob can use the Tropebuster to unleash a devastating attack, in exchange for a few years off his life. Before he uses it even once, he finds a way to make himself TheAgeless, as well, [[GameBreaker effectively allowing him to use a technique that would kill anybody after one use, with the only restraining factor being his own discretion.]]
** Bob find a way--fair or foul--to replenish his life force after he uses Tropebuster.
** Bob refuses to use Tropebuster and finds a way to defeat the villain with a different attack or a different method to power the Tropebuster.
* '''Discussed''': "Bob, why would you use an attack that will eventually kill you--''literally''?" "The years shaved off my life is nothing compared to having to live under [[EvilOverlord Evulz]]' oppression."
* '''Conversed''': "Bob might love his new firepower now, but let's see how he feels in a few years when he's wasted decades of his life [[BeamSpam overusing]] that technique".
* '''Implied''': Bob is shown to be drained a bit every time he uses it. In the epilogue he is shown to have aged quicker, and is the first one to appear in the funeral montages of the heroes dying of old age despite being the youngest of the group.
* '''Deconstructed''': Mastering the Tropebuster skews Bob's world-view. Bob knows that every time he uses it he's closer to death--why should he care about other people's lives?
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob can only begin learning Tropebuster after strengthening his soul.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob uses Tropebuster and turns into a weak old man, visually aging as the power flows out of him. He delivers a humorous one-liner afterwards, and displays stereotypical old man behaviour. He [[ResetButton finds a way to counter the accelerated aging by the end of the episode]].
* '''Played For Drama''': This trope is already dramatic in nature.
Returning to CastFromLifespan will cost you a few seconds of your life
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???