'''Basic Trope''': A comically incompetent father in a DomCom.
* '''Straight''': Bob means well, but he often grabs the IdiotBall and gets his wife and children into all sorts of [[NiceJobBreakingItHero misadventures with him]]. He is also a very flawed [[ThisLoserIsYou (yet sympathetic)]] individual.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob is an outright JerkAss who is a borderline (if not outright) [[AbusiveParents abusive father]].
** The family share possession of the IdiotBall pretty fairly, but Bob carries it more than most.
** Bob sometimes makes stupid mistakes every now and then, but when disaster strikes, he is [[StandardFiftiesFather the one who protects his family]].
** Unfortunately, [[ManChild emotional maturity]] and common sense are not (and never have been) prerequisites for parenthood.
** Bob's family is a rather DysfunctionalFamily
** Bob is a StandardFiftiesFather
** Alternatively, Alice is MaternallyChallenged.
* '''Subverted''': Bob seems dumb, but that was ObfuscatingStupidity.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** But it turns out, he was really that dumb. When he seemed smart, he was FeigningIntelligence
** Bob really is a genius. However, he is an AbsentMindedProfessor who still needs a CloudcuckoolandersMinder to function.
** Bob is TheDitz.
** [[WomenAreWiser Alice]] ends up ParentingTheHusband as much as [[FreeRangeChildren (or more than)]] her kids.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob is a very loving and attentive father, and he's also extremely good at his job and is an excellent provider. The problem is that he's also as stubborn as a mule when it comes to trying to fix something himself when it breaks down, rather than calling a professional. [[DoomItYourself On those occasions, his competence flies completely out the window.]]
* '''Averted''': Bob is a competent father.
** "[[Series/TheWaltons All]] [[Series/LeaveItToBeaver those]] [[Series/TheBradyBunch perfect]] DomCom families on TV...[[TastesLikeDiabetes they make me sick]]! I'll make a DysfunctionalFamily, with a [[TheFool blithering]] [[TheDitz idiot]] as its head!"
** One of the parents needs to be somewhat on the ball for the sake of ConservationOfCompetence, and you want the characterisations to be relatively consistent rather than a constant game of IdiotBall. You know that every time the dad is shown to be somehow "superior" to his wife, you'll have a protracted battle with the MoralGuardians, but [[DoubleStandard not so the other way around]]. What are you gonna do?
* '''Lampshaded''': "He's like all those bumbling dads you see in sitcoms."
* '''Invoked''': Alice specifies in her Lonely Hearts ad that she's looking for a ManChild with whom to settle down and raise kids.
* '''Exploited''': Bob deliberately makes it look like he can't do anything right around the house so he doesn't have to.
** Alice breaks up with Bob when she sees that he is too immature to raise a family, and not likely to change any time soon.
** Alternately, Bob decides, "Enough fooling around; I'm expecting kids soon.", and spends more time with Alice. He also learns basic household chores from her...
* '''Discussed''': "I hope Bob Jr. doesn't inherit his dad's bumbling tendencies. It'd be a real hassle when we're married."
* '''Conversed''': "Seriously? Another bumbling dad show? I'd like to see a competent, take charge father on a sitcom for a change."
* '''Deconstructed''': Can have a negative effect on his children and his wife, leading to the [[BigScrewedUpFamily breakdown]] of the (presumably already dysfunctional) family.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob is dumb and irresponsible, but he sincerely loves his family and is capable of stepping up when it's important.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob's mistakes and selfishness negatively affect his family.
Back to BumblingDad
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???