'''Basic Trope''': Being a jerk to someone so they'll leave you and stay out of danger.
* '''Straight''': AliceAndBob are together, but Bob leads a dangerous life and knows that she will be in danger too if she stays with him, so he puts on a JerkassFacade in the hopes that she will stay away from him and from danger.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob physically abuses Alice in order to make her leave him, and save her from an enemy he is fighting, who would have raped and tortured her if they had caught her.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob acts slightly coldly toward Alice, hoping she will stay out of his secret and dangerous life and ask no questions.
* '''Justified''': Bob cares too much for Alice to allow her to be put in terrible danger because of him.
* '''Inverted''': Bob acts even nicer. So she'll stay with him to make it easier to protect her from danger.
* '''Subverted''': Bob initially tries a half-hearted JerkassFacade, but Alice immediately sees through it...
* '''Double Subverted''': ...before he pulls a more convincing one that successfully deceives her.
* '''Parodied''': Bob's enemy called him out from being a jerk to Alice. He also decided to date Alice and treat her better.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
** Bob makes no attempt to keep Alice away from him.
** Bob breaks up with Alice for other reasons.
* '''Enforced''': The villain has a sniper trained on Alice and will shoot if Bob does not convince her to leave right then. The only way he can think to do so is to brutally break her heart.
* '''Lampshaded''': "He's never acted like that to her before; [[GenreSavvy I am sure that he's putting on an act!]]"
** Charlie is in love with Alice, so he engages Bob in a battle so dangerous that he will be forced to break Alice's heart to save her.
** Bob's superiors order him to dump Alice, before their enemies can exploit her for their own ends--and Alice's doom.
* '''Exploited''': Charlie is in love with Alice, and snaps her up as soon as Bob has warded her off.
* '''Defied''': Bob and Alice say "Screw this! We're in this together!" and trust in the PowerOfLove to see them through.
* '''Discussed''': Bob is concerned that his dangerous life might pose a risk to Alice. He mentions this concern to a friend, who suggests he break up with her to keep her safe.
* '''Conversed''': ???
** Bob acts like an jerk to his best friend Alice so she wouldn't be drawn into his dangerous life. However, since Bob and Alice are good friends, Alice ends-up emotionally scarred by Bob's becoming a jerk to her, and since she was betrayed by her closest friend, she feels like she can no longer trust anyone and becomes cold and bitter to the rest of the world.
** Alice is pissed off when she realizes why Bob is acting like a jerk to her and [[WhatTheHellHero confronts him about it]]. She points out that if he wanted her away from the danger, he could have tried actually ''talking'' to her about it instead of pulling insane and cruel stunts.
** Breaking Alice's heart wasn't enough to keep the BigBad from going after her, [[NiceJobBreakingItHero all Bob did was push her away from one of the few people that could have kept her safe from danger.]]
* '''Reconstructed''': Once the danger has past, Bob finally lets Alice in on why he acted like a jerk to her. Though it still takes a while, Alice slowly begins to accept him again, and starts to see the world without jarred perspective.
Back to BreakHisHeartToSaveHim
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???