'''Basic Trope''': A peaceful, mild or otherwise seemingly harmless character is capable of deadly anger or surprisingly effective retribution if sufficiently provoked.
* '''Straight''': After experiencing a prolonged period of bullying and torture at the hands of [[BigBad Emperor Evulz]], the mild-mannered [[NiceGuy Bob]] snaps and beats the crap out of Evulz, shocking and terrifying the villain.
** After being bullied by Evulz, the mild-mannered Bob snaps, builds a death ray, and [[DisproportionateRetribution destroys ]][[DoomedHometown Evulz's home city]] [[KillSat from orbit]].
* '''Downplayed''': The bullying by Evulz causes Bob to lash out in anger and, although his response is relatively mild compared to what it could be, it is equally terrifying to the villain because Bob is normally so mild-mannered.
** Although Evulz isn't aware of this, Bob is actually the alter-ego of a superhero with devastatingly effective combat skills.
** Bob is very nice, but he also knows a good deal of martial arts. He keeps from using it most of the time because he doesn't feel the need to, but when pushed, he has no problem using very, very painful moves against the subject of his ire.
** Bob is usually very nice but becomes a PapaWolf when his loved ones are threatened.
** Bob, a bullying blow-hard, is in fact incapable of fighting for himself if provoked.
** After being bullied by Evulz, Bob snaps and fights back... only to be easily floored by Evulz.
** After being bullied by Evulz, Bob starts to show rage... but then calms down, shakes his head and refuses to fight.
* '''Doubly Subverted''':
** ... which was all part of Bob's cunning plan to lull Evulz into a false sense of security so that Bob could enact his revenge later and in a more devastating fashion than merely getting beaten up.
** After being bullied by Evulz, Bob shows signs of snapping... but then calms down. [[TranquilFury Then, he quietly and efficiently beats seven shades of hell out of Evulz]].
* '''Parodied''': The slight that Bob is reacting to is ludicrously trivial and his [[DisproportionateRetribution retribution drastically over-the-top]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': Pacifist Bob visibly restrains himself from going berserk against Evulz and his minions. Then the dam breaks and he starts ripping through the Mooks, only for Evulz to kill him easily.
* '''Averted''': Bob simply resigns himself to the bullying and lets it continue.
* '''Enforced''': "We have to show that just because Bob is nice, he's not a complete weakling; otherwise people will be turned off from him. Let's show him beating up a bullying villain to prove the point."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Alright, Evulz -- this time, you've pushed me too far!"
* '''Invoked''': Bob is an ActualPacifist and Evulz intentionally pushes Bob to his breaking point to prove he's not as unflappable as he thinks he is.
* '''Exploited''': Alex purposefully gets Bob worked up about Evulz's crimes so that Bob will snap and take down Evulz, since Alex can't.
** Bob is an ActualPacifist, and when he realizes that he is about to snap he forces himself to turn the other cheek.
** Evulz sees the signs that Bob is about to snap and stops torturing him so that he won't quite get angry enough to take him down.
* '''Discussed''': "Funny how it's the nice ones who turn into badasses when they're pushed too far."
* '''Conversed''': "Are these characters crazy? You never pick on the nice guy! They're always secretly capable of kicking your ass and if you provoke him, that's just what he'll do!"
** In lowering himself to Evulz's level and fighting him on his terms, Bob has lost the moral high ground and has thus lost anyway or [[HeWhoFightsMonsters proven himself to be even worse than Evulz]].
** Since Bob is not used to practicing violent or ruthless actions, his rage is mostly impotent compared to someone who lives by violence and ruthlessness. His outburst ends up just getting him killed.
** However, sometimes we must lower ourselves to defend ourselves from threats.
** Bob acknowledges the possibility of being forced to resort to violence and trains his mind and body to ready them both for fighting, enabling him to overcome his target. It helps that his outburst is levelled against someone who is more used to dealing with dirty tricks than fisticuffs.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Bob has [[WhatTheFuAreYouDoing zero fighting abilities]] and looks ridiculous as he goes after his tormentors, putting Evulz on the ground through sheer accident and/or because Evulz is laughing too hard to fight back.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob, trembling, waits until Evulz's back is turned. Bob pulls out a clasp-knife and stabs Evulz until the blade breaks off in the villain's spine. He is chilled by the experience, as are his friends.
Could you head back to BewareTheNiceOnes, please? This page is starting to annoy me, and [[ComicBook/IncredibleHulk you wouldn't like me when I'm ang-I mean, annoyed.]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???