'''Basic Trope''': A mundane product is sold as a valuable (and usually illegal) one.
* '''Straight''': Bob sells "marijuana" that is actually just bits and pieces of oregano.
** Bob sells wood shavings as marijuana.
** Bob sells pieces of shattered glass as "stolen diamonds".
** Bob has an entire store full of fake products: "marijuana" (oregano), "heroin" (baking soda), "stolen diamonds" (cubic zirconias), "Rolexes" (actually [[ShoddyKnockoffProduct crappy counterfeits]])...
* '''Downplayed''': Bob sells actual marijuana, but claims the pot to be a new "super-sticky" variety, when it's just a more mundane "average potency" type.
** Bob is an undercover cop in a sting operation.
** Bob is a ConMan looking to make some quick money.
* '''Inverted''': Bob sells marijuana, but tells people it's only oregano.
* '''Subverted''': Bob hands a customer a bag of oregano, while slipping them the real product.
* '''Double Subverted''': Which is also not real.
* '''Parodied''': Bob knows nothing about drugs, so he sells sugar and tries to pass it off as marijuana.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Sometimes Bob vends actual marijuana, sometimes oregano when his normal supply is running short.
* '''Averted''': Bob sells actual marijuana.
* '''Enforced''': The writers want a quick way to show off Bob's ConArtist nature while giving him victims that people will feel less sympathy for because they believe DrugsAreBad.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Hey...this isn't pot! This is just oregano!"
* '''Invoked''': Bob, TheAggressiveDrugDealer, is running short on supply, but very high on demand. He doesn't want to tell his customers "no," so he puts oregano into bags and sells it as pot.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Bob knows this will anger customers. Angry customers mean lost business, and can put Bob's life and safety (and/or that of [[IHaveAFamily his family]]) at risk. So he doesn't try to pass off oregano as marijuana.
* '''Discussed''': "Careful. I've heard some of these dealers will rip you off."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied''': Bob is seen selling bags of product, but clearly does not grow marijuana or have connections to anyone who does.
* '''Deconstructed''': Once a customer tries the product, he realizes it is fake by the lack of effects.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob sells it to people who sell it to other people, and do not use it themselves. Once the customer finds it is fake, they do not know who was responsible.
* '''Played For Laughs''': When the would-be stoners find out that Bob sold them oregano, they literally stone him.
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob sells "vodka" that contains toxic methanol.
Back to BeatBag