'''Basic Trope''': An evil character has a beard.
* '''Straight''': The villain has a goatee.
** Every villain we run into has a beard of some sort, and none of the heroes do.
** The more evil a villain is, the longer his beard is.
* '''Downplayed''': The villain has PermaStubble.
** He's got a FreudianExcuse behind his evil actions, and grew a BeardOfSorrow because of it all.
** Alternately, the heroes are in the MirrorUniverse to their own universe.
** The only character with a beard is the hero.
** The only shaven character is a villain.
* '''Subverted''': We catch a glimpse of a menacing looking bearded character, but he turns out to be on the good guy's side.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...Until we find out he was TheMole all along.
** The villain laments his inability to grow an effective evil beard, and eventually goes for an obviously fake one. He becomes an IneffectualSympatheticVillain.
** A brand of razors is advertised as fighting crime by keeping away evil facial hair.
** The villain cuts his beard, and instantly becomes a good guy.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The suspicious looking character with a beard is actually on the good side, but he turns out to be TheMole. However, as soon as he reveals this, he shaves the beard off. After which he goes back to the side of good because the beard contained a tiny mind-control device implanted there by the BigBad, and it's gone now.
* '''Averted''': Who has a beard and who doesn't has nothing to do with whether they're good or bad.
* '''Enforced''': We need a way for audiences to tell apart the EvilTwin from his heroic counterpart -- let's give him facial hair so they can notice right away.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Fear me and my beard of doom!"
* '''Invoked''': A villain grows a beard for the sole purpose of making himself look more evil.
* '''Exploited''': A hero, who is [[DressingAsTheEnemy disguised as an enemy soldier]], puts on a fake beard to emphasize his facade.
** After making his FaceHeelTurn, a character makes sure to keep up on shaving, as he doesn't like the idea of how he'd look with an evil goatee.
** An EvilVizier refuses to grow a beard because he knows having one will make people know he's evil.
* '''Discussed''': "Maybe we should stay away from that guy. Look at the beard! It just screams of evil!"
* '''Conversed''': "Why do they give the bad guys beards?"
Back to BeardOfEvil
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???