'''Basic Trope''': A character has a really cool name, made up of unusual components and/or in a setting that would make such an awesome name seem strange.
* '''Straight''': Bob has a friend called Odysseus Obsidian.
** Every single person on Earth has an impossibly cool name.
** Everyone calls him "O." because if they heard his true name, their [[AwesomenessIsVolatile heads would explode]].
** His special attack is running to his enemy and whispering his name into their ear causing their head to explode.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob has a friend called Leon Huntington.
** Odysseus' family members all have really cool names as a family tradition.
** Odysseus chose that name himself because it sounded cool.
** In a world full of cool names, there is one unfortunate man named Bob Bland.
** Also, UnfortunateName.
** Odysseus is just a nickname
** Or, everyone confuses Bob Bland for a character with a awesome name because he's looks like him.
* '''Doubly Subverted''': His real name is Achilles.
** Odysseus makes a big show of introducing himself, expecting everyone to fall down in awe at hearing his name.
** Alternatively, [[OverlyLongGag the character's name is ridiculously long and used in full every time it is said.]]
** Everyone treats Bob's name like it's a really cool name.
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** Odysseus changes his name several times, from mundane to awesome and back again.
** Odysseus changes his name every time he introduces himself: Obsidian, Brimstone, Onyx, Mithril, etc. Bob calls him out on this, and reveals his real name: Smith. Everybody laughs it off for a while... but then they start thinking: [[spoiler:what is the profession where men work on raw materials to make incredible weapons?]]
** No one has unusual/cool names.
** No one has a name.
* '''Enforced''': "I've got a really cool idea for a character name! Let's use it!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Dude, that's such a cool name!"
* '''Invoked''': A baby is given a cool name after much discussion between the parents.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': A cool name for the new baby is rejected by the parents in favor of something more conventional.
* '''Discussed''': "Did you hear what the name of that new kid is? It's so cool it's ridiculous!"
* '''Conversed''': "What am I going to call him? I was thinking either Xerxes, Ozymandias or Indiana. Which one do you like best?"
** Odysseus hates his unusual name because the other kids make fun of him. He resents his parents for giving it to him and changes it the first chance he gets.
** Odysseus falls into deep depression from the burden of having a name that implies someone far grander and more special than he really is.
** Odysseus' old name was boring and plain, so he changed it to something more exotic.
** Odysseus' name reflects a personal change he went through in his life, prompting him to get a new, cooler name to distance himself from the person he was.
On the birth certificate is your AwesomeMcCoolname.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???