'''Basic Trope''': Being a higher rank makes you stronger.
* '''Straight''': Jack is the leader of the Super Awesome Team, and, as such, is stronger than everyone else in his group.
* '''Exaggerated''': Jack is the leader of the Super Awesome Team, and he can annihilate whole armies with very little effort.
* '''Downplayed''': Jack is clearly not the weakest member of the Super Awesome Team. It's vague whether he's the strongest, but he's certainly up there.
** He has been in the team longer than anyone else has, so he is more experienced at what he does.
** [[AsskickingEqualsAuthority Being stronger is the only, or at least the best, way to gain a higher rank.]]
** Jack's higher rank means he gets better equipment and/or cybernetic upgrades.
** The rank given works in a magic system, and thus the higher rank you are the more powerful magic you can use, meaning that higher ranks are given access to the best magic attacks and defenses.
** The higher Jack is promoted, [[TheChainsOfCommanding the more weight is on his shoulders]]. He's responsible for more lives, and expected to handle greater challenges, harder tasks, and [[TheHeavy stronger, smarter, more dangerous enemies]]. Failure is not an option, so Jack prepares, mentally and physically, to rise to the challenge, and prove himself worthy of his position.
** Would you have any respect or obedience for someone you knew was a weakling, a coward, and/or a fool? We didn't think so.
** Everyone else is tougher than Jack.
** Jack is an AlmightyJanitor or a DeskJockey.
** Jack constantly says he is better than everyone else on the team, but he is actually no better than any of them...
** A general or admiral, because of the busyness of his command responsibilities, doesn't have any time to train with his incredible power. He ends up being UnskilledButStrong and WeakButSkilled opponents can defeat him.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...until you push his BerserkButton.
** On the verge of defeat, he pulls out a new SuperMode strong enough to overwhelm his opponent's skill.
* '''Parodied''': Besides fighting, the leaders of Super Awesome Team can't do anything normally, leading them to [[DoesNotKnowHisOwnStrength break everything]] or [[MartialArtsAndCrafts make conventional tasks into a show]]. The members of the team will either not realize that they shouldn't smash the table nor utilize their combat training to scramble the eggs, or simply sigh and carry on.
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** Jack constantly says he is better than everyone else on the team, but he is actually no better than any of them, until you press his BerserkButton, but he turns out he still isn't much better than the others, until you press ''another'' BerserkButton...
** As Jack is the head of the team, he takes it upon himself to learn firsthand the strengths, weaknesses, and difficulties of his comrades, so while he doesn't train hard enough in any given category to be a MasterOfAll, he's still a JackOfAllStats with a wide array of skills... any one of his teammates is better in their given field, but Jack himself is overall stronger.
* '''Averted''': He is equally strong as the rest of his team.
* '''Enforced''': "We need to make the higher-ranked ones stronger, otherwise they'll be too easy to kill!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "You've gotten quite some muscle." "Oh, yeah, got promoted yesterday."
** When Jack gets a promotion, he immediately starts working out so he'll be stronger than the rest.
** In Jack's world, enemy leaders are frequently targeted for assassination. Only those badass enough to survive regular assassination attempte say on the leadership rooster.
* '''Exploited''': Attempting to sow dissent within the ranks of the Super Awesome Team, Emperor Evulz points out that Jack isn't really all that strong, yet he's the leader...
** Jack deliberately doesn't work out more than he used to when he gets promoted, because he doesn't want to be stronger than anyone in the army.
** Alternatively, Jack rejects the promotion for the same reason.
* '''Discussed''': "Did you see how strong Jack has gotten? Has he gotten a promotion or something?"
* '''Conversed''': "Why does it always seem to be that higher-ranked guys seem to be stronger?"
** Soldiers go to any length, ''[[KlingonPromotion any]]'' length, to get that higher ranking. The internecine intrigue is disruptive and harmful to cohesion and morale.
** Or, because of their combat prowess promoting them, they do a really bad job at what they're given.
* '''Reconstructed''': However, the higher-ranked soldiers manage to keep the lower-ranking ones in line because of their higher power.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Jack doesn't even NEED his team half the time, and the team knows it.
* '''Played For Drama''': Jack is an [[CurbStompBattle absolute]] [[ColdBloodedTorture monster]] [[NoHoldsBarredBeatdown in combat]], and because of this he is TheDreaded to friend and foe alike.
I order you to go back to AuthorityEqualsAsskicking, right now, or I'll kick your ass!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???