'''Basic Trope''': A villain decides to unify mankind through mass fusion of minds, ultimately eliminating division and isolation.
* '''Straight''': BigBad Ecarion in [[CaptainErsatz Mechanical Messiah]] [[Anime/NeonGenesisEvangelion Aluabath]] decides to merge every mind on Earth into a single cluster.
** Every mind, including animals and even some plants.
** Or every mind in the universe.
* '''Downplayed''': Ecarion plans only on merging Troperia into HiveMind. This is step one in his plan for revenge for his wife's death.
** [[WellIntentionedExtremist Ecarion believes that division by any sort of difference or isolation is not beneficial to the human race.]]
** [[PragmaticVillainy Every mind merged into a single cluster is much easier to control than separate minds running around.]]
* '''Inverted''': Everyone on Vespia decides to differentiate themselves by the typical division that puts themselves at risk of discrimination.
** Ecarion merges every mind on Earth into a giant red sphere... but actually the red sphere is a virtual reality machine where the intelligent beings live as usual.
** Ecarion's threats of assimilation were misinterpreted; he merely meant "you will become citizens of [[TheEmpire my glorious empire]], and your culture will be supplanted by my own," not "your minds will be merged as one."
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...However, an entity/a glitch in the virtual reality merges the separate minds into one.
** ...But the unification under TheEmpire ends up making every mind to connect to each other and one superior HiveMind through TheVirus.
** The last step of Ecarion's conquest, however, turns out to be slowly assimilating all minds into one loyal HiveMind anyways.
* '''Parodied''': Ecarion wants to merge everyone into one [[MemeticMutation Tang-y]] being simply because "it sounds pretty deep."
* '''Zig Zagged''': Ecarion's plan works, and everyone on Earth becomes much more accustomed to a lack of differences, but can't stop assuming since their minds are connected to themselves and a single hive mind, but issues between thinking are easily resolved.
* '''Averted''': Ecarion decides to rule everyone [[AGodAmI as their god]] instead, and shapes the Earth in his name in another way.
* '''Enforced''': The author was running out of ideas for the BigBad's ultimate plan.
* '''Lampshaded''': The villain is reading a copy of ChildhoodsEnd in quite a few scenes.
* '''Invoked''': ???
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': The villain rejects an AssimilationPlot dreamed up by one of his henchmen, because "[[VictoryIsBoring it would get boring too fast]]."
* '''Discussed''': "There are times when we almost always have to merge every mind into a single core thinking area."
* '''Conversed''': "Did that guy really have to do that, I mean merging everyone into [[MemeticMutation Lipton]] and stuff?"
** [[EvenEvilHasStandards Ecarion's allies don't approve of his real plan]], resulting in an EnemyCivilWar. His [[EnemyMine former allies and the heroes]] [[CurbStompBattle obliterate Ecarion]].
** Merged as one mind, people have no privacy and are forced to share thoughts and feelings with strangers and their enemies. As a result, the newly created entity is schizophrenic. AndIMustScream, indeed.
** Rare optimistic deconstruction: Ecarion sees that, [[EpiphanicPrison given an ego, most people end up very unhappy]]. His AssimilationPlot, instead of violating everyone's privacy, is more of a mass "enlightenment", in which everybody lets go of their ego and realises that everything is truly "one".
** [[EvenEvilHasStandards Ecarion's allies don't approve of his real plan]], resulting in an EnemyCivilWar. They fall to Ecarion, and are the first to be assimilated.
** ...which was Ecarion's ultimate purpose after all.
Be the first to be [[AssimilationPlot assimilated]].
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???