'''Basic Trope''': A character is chewed out by a superior, but at the end they reveal that they did some good.
* '''Straight''': "Bob, you destroyed the public library and let three drug-smugglers go free, but thanks to you, the mayor's daughter is safe, so I guess I can't fire you."
** "Bob, you obliterated three cities and allowed seven of the [=FBI=]'s 10 Most Wanted to escape, but the mayor's daughter will most likely live, so here's your reward."
** "Bob, you just destroyed half of the universe and released a prison of crazy serial killers, [[RuleOfThree but the mayor's dog is safe, so I can't fire you.]]"
** "Bob, you have reduced the entirity of the multiverse excluding this one room to cinders, putting all living beings through excruciating pain in doing so, [[SkewedPriorities but my trading cards are all undamaged so congrats on your promotion!]]"
** The mistakes Bob made actually were trivial compared to what good he did, but his superior still wants to warn him about those mistakes.
** Bob's recklessness up to and including blowing up the library gets him fired. Saving the mayor's daughter only means nobody will press criminal charges or sue.
** The purpose of the mission was to save the mayor's daughter, so Bob technically did what he was required to do.
** "You risked many lives just to save one. I guess you showed us what it truly means to be an officer."
** The mayor's daughter is the key witness against the drug-smugglers, so there was no point in catching them but losing her as they would have had to be let go anyway. The library's destruction was not his idea.
* '''Inverted''': "Bob, I'm glad you avoided collateral damage and caught the bad guys, but the mayor's daughter died in the chaos, so I'm going to need you to turn in your badge."
* '''Subverted''': "You destroyed the public library and let three drug-smugglers go free. TurnInYourBadge."
* '''Double Subverted''': "At least, that's what I ''should'' be saying, but the mayor went to bat for you after you saved his daughter, so I guess I can't fire you."
** "Bob, you leveled the city, killed thousands of people, endangered countless others, destroyed seven national landmarks, broke the President's arm, and got me a doughnut. I think someone's up for a promotion!"
** "Bob, you bring all cute animals to extinction and make babies cry, but at least you managed to accomplish a cloning project that will bring back cute animals and make the best toys for babies. [[DisproportionateReward That means big rewards for you.]]"
* '''Zig Zagged''': (continued from "Double Subverted") "...But I don't answer to the mayor, so you've got 30 minutes to clean out your desk."
** No collateral damage was caused.
** Or the mission went perfectly.
* '''Enforced''': [[ExecutiveMeddling The executives]] want to keep this CashCowFranchise going, so they prevent the screenwriters from firing the hero.
** "Phew! For a second there, I really thought you were going to fire me!"
** Bob's rival, Carl, who would have Bob's promotion otherwise, looks on the conversation:
-->'''Carl''': "That Bob sure is gonna get it."\\
'''The Chief''': "...But you saved the President's daughter, so I'm going to promote you."\\
* '''Invoked''': Bob is about to be fired, but brings up the point that he saved the mayor's daughter. The chief concedes Bob's argument, and allows him to keep his job.
* '''Exploited''': Bob knows that, as long as he does some good, he won't get in trouble, so he does whatever he feels like.
* '''Defied''': "Listen, I don't give a damn that you saved the mayor's daughter! You destroyed a building and you didn't catch your man! You're fired!"
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
Alright, troper, you ruined an examples page and allowed misspelling on a Useful Notes page. But the ArsonMurderAndLifesaving page is still intact, so I guess you're alright.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???