'''Basic Trope''': A villain mourns over a hero's death.
* '''Straight''': Evil Bob kills Steve, then goes to the funeral
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob, having finally killed his nemesis, Steve, is so grief-stricken due to his loss, that he decides to give up his life of evil, [[HeelFaceTurn perhaps even turning good himself]].
** Steve is part of a group of heroes. After he's killed, Bob keeps making plans that have to be corrected for Steve no longer being there while trying to defeat the heroes.
** Steve is injured non-lethally, but Bob is still concerned over his enemy's well-being.
** Bob has focused his life around his nemesis, Steve, for so long, that he must seriously consider what to do with his life with Steve gone.
** Steve was never meant to die. The fact that Bob did it was completely unintentional.
** Steve died because someone else killed him, but Bob's upset because he swore vengeance & [[TheOnlyOneAllowedToDefeatYou always wanted to be the one who killed him]].
** The reason Bob became a villain was for the challenge. Now that Steve is dead, its just too easy.
** Bob couldn't care less about that fool, Steve, who thought to oppose him. When he finds that Steve is actually alive, he falls into a deep depression.
** AlasPoorVillain, but in-universe.
** Alternatively, Bob is the HeroAntagonist. And when he kills VillainProtagonist Steve, he starts to mourn for him.
* '''Subverted''': For a moment, Bob gives a [[ThousandYardStare thousand yard stare]], but otherwise appears unaffected by Steve's death.
* '''Double Subverted''': Later that night, we see Bob crying himself to sleep in his room.
** Bob had a FoeYay crush on Steve and tearfully admits it to the rest of his party...much to his humiliation.
** Bob is acting like a stereotypical crying widow during Steve's funeral, complete with typical all-black dress and veiled hat.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob goes to Steve's funeral, only to whip out a gun and [[ShootTheDog shoot Steve's]] TrueCompanions at the funeral. Then he bursts out in genuine tears for Steve.
* '''Averted''': Bob couldn't care less about that fool, Steve, who thought to oppose him.
* '''Enforced''': Let's show how nice a person Steve was by having Bob mourn for him.
* '''Lampshaded''':"You know, seeing as he was your arch-nemesis, Iím really surprised how cut up you are about this."
* '''Invoked''': Steve is killed by someone other than Bob specifically to upset or insult Bob.
** Steve [[FakingTheDead fakes his own death]] in order to render Bob hopelessly depressed and unable to carry out his plan.
** Steve fakes his own death in a way that convinces Bob he's responsible, because he's hoping the trauma will cause Bob to rethink his life and change sides.
** Steve [[ThanatosGambit dies for real]], gambling that [[AntiVillain Bob]] can be redeemed into making a HeelFaceTurn and become a hero even more powerful than Steve was.
* '''Defied''': "Quick, Bob! Kill Steve!"
* '''Discussed''': Before killing Steve, Bob talks about how he may just be upset when Steve is dead. Musings about a thin line between love and hate may be said.
* '''Conversed''': "Ooh, the battle between Steve and Bob looks bad." "I hope Steve wins. Bob's a horrible wreck at funerals."
* '''Deconstructed''': Bob is a PunchClockVillain who secretly respects Steve. However, he can't [[HeelFaceTurn join]] Steve's side because the BigBad is holding Bob's family hostage.
* '''Reconstructed''': Over time he grows to hate Steve, but maintains [[WorthyOpponent respect]] for him, and is upset when he is killed.
* '''Played for Laughs''': "Uhh...I'm NotQuiteDead" "OH THANK GOD!" *[[TheGlomp Glomp]]!* " I don't know what I would do without you!
* '''Played for Drama''': Bob can't adjust to Steve being dead to the point he either commits suicide or is eventually cut down by another evil rival.
* '''Implied''': Bob suffers from VillainDecay after killing Steve. It can be inferred that he's just not putting his heart into it like he used to.
Back to AntagonistInMourning
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???