'''Basic Trope''': Naturally occurring gems are plentiful, large and already cut and polished.
* '''Straight''': Miner Bob found a cave full of polished gems sticking out of the walls.
* '''Exaggerated''': Miner Bob found a flawless gem the size of a ''boulder'' sticking out of the ground.
* '''Downplayed''': Miner Bob found pebble sized gemstones scattered across the cave floor.
* '''Justified''': The gem mine that Miner Bob found was actually the ancient ruins of a crashed ship that used gemstones as computer components and [[PowerCrystal power source]].
* '''Inverted''': Miner Bob mined a bunch of rough and randomly shaped gemstones in the caves.
** Miner Bob is a protagonist of an RPG. All of the gem loots he gets needs to be refined first before it can be used.
** Miner Bob is the victim of a swindle. The previous owner salted the worthless mine with a few refined gems stuck onto the wall, and inexperienced Bob fell for it.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but it turns out that the actual refinement process merely involves cracking open the rocky shell, revealing the perfectly shaped shiny gemstone within.
** It's an old tradition for the dwarves of the setting to mine out precious gems, refine them and then bury them back into the ground for adventurers to find.
** Every gemstone Miner Bob mines has the label "All Natural" engraved into them.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Miner Bob finds a cave filled with rough gems as well as already polished gems sticking out of the walls.
* '''Averted''': Gems are scattered everywhere in the cave but every single one of them are rough and randomly shaped.
* '''Enforced''': "How will the [[ViewersAreMorons viewers]] know Miner Bob's stumbled across a diamond mine [[CoconutEffect if they don't look like diamonds]]?"
* '''Lampshaded''': Alice the geologist says to Miner Bob, "How come all the gems you're mining are already cut and polished? That's geologically impossible!"
* '''Invoked''': There are legends about an underground spot that contains a special geological condition that allows the formation of gems that already look cut and polished. Miner Bob embarks on an adventure to find said place.
* '''Exploited''': Miner Bob sells the gems he mined himself directly to jewelers, knowing that he won't need a gem cutter to refine his haul.
* '''Defied''': The dwarves think it's a bad omen to find large ready made gems from mines so it has become a tradition for them to either destroy them whenever they can either by crushing them to bits or throwing them into a volcano before adventurers find them.
* '''Discussed''': "Why would I need a gem cutter for? These babies are already perfect!"
* '''Conversed''': "Hey, have you ever wondered why all those gemstone he mines are already polished and cut? I mean, what is up with that?"
* '''Implied''': The townsfolk of the village where Miner Bob lives in are all adorned in various gem encrusted jewelry and outfits.
* '''Deconstructed''': Miner Bob tries to sell his hard earned gems but is only paid in miniscule amounts due to the abundance of gemstone in the economy/market.
* '''Reconstructed''': The gems are only found in Miner Bob's country, in an inverted case of NotRareOverThere. Anyone clever enough to exploit this can make a fortune.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Miner Bob looked at a piece of rock and threw it away, not knowing that it was actually a geode. He thought all gems looked liked the ones he saw on TV and video games.
* '''Played For Drama''': Miner Bob is a poor man who mines gems for a living to get through life. The gems in his world are nearly worthless due to its abundance.
Back to AllNaturalGemPolish
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Untwisted''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???