'''Basic Trope''': An alien gets high on a mundane substance.
* '''Straight''': [[BizarreAlienBiology Alice]] gets [[IntoxicationEnsues high]] on vinegar.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice gets high on water and oxygen.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice gets pleasurable sensations from vinegar, but not to the point of intoxication.
* '''Justified''': Alice has BizarreAlienBiology.
** Alice takes marijuana and doesn't get high.
** Drinking olive oil sobers Alice up.
** [[HumansThroughAlienEyes Bob]] eats something that is [[AlienLunch a delicacy]] on Alice's planet and proceeds to get high
** A mundane substance that is the alien equivalent of table sugar gets humans high.
* '''Subverted''': Alice is given vinegar for this reason, but it doesn't work.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...because Alice has some weird recessive gene, and it ''would'' work like that on anyone else of her species.
* '''Parodied''': Alice gets high on fine wine and lobster, but doesn't think to mention it until she happens to attend a banquet.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice drinks vinegar and gets high, but it is revealed this was just an act. Later she eats cinnamon and gets high, but only because she has a special condition that makes this effect only in her, not the rest of her species. Another alien mentions that Jello is what ''really'' gets to them.
* '''Averted''': Alice gets high only on human drugs and nothing else.
* '''Enforced''': The main characters need a clue that Alice is not as human as she seems to be.
** "Alice is acting really weird after drinking that vinegar; what is she, an alien?"
** "You know you're not supposed to drink that, right?" "...But it makes me feel all sparkly inside..."
* '''Invoked''': Evil humans serve food with vinegar in it at a banquet, knowing that Alice will be intoxicated and no one else will.
* '''Exploited''': Bob keeps a small bottle of olive oil on his person whenever Alice is nearby, just in case.
* '''Defied''': Alice consciously sticks to food and drink from her own planet, knowing the possible side-effects human food may have on her.
* '''Discussed''': "Hey, guys, do you have any vinegar around here?" "No...not since Alice moved in."
* '''Conversed''': "Hey, look, the [[RubberForeheadAlien strangely-human alien]] is looking at the vinegar, I bet [[HilarityEnsues hijinks]] are about to ensue!"
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice gets high on vinegar, and it's presented in the same way as an actual drug addiction would be, complete with disheveled appearance and damage to her brain.
* '''Reconstructed''': Alice realizes she has a problem, attends a clinic and then from then on is able to use vinegar in moderation with the addictive side-effects.
Back to AlienCatnip
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Untwisted''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???