Though this series remains about as light and soft as the original, it still provides a few examples:
* From "Big Scare in the Big Easy", the gang spends a lot of time searching through a graveyard and looking for clues about two ghosts that come to life and fight each other. These ghosts are pretty terrifying, about as much as you can get from this series.
** It's made worse when Daphne tells Shaggy and Scooby that she wasn't wailing, and the ending implies that it was ''one of them moaning from beyond the grave''.
* From "Farmed and Dangerous", the MonsterOfTheWeek is a zombie farmer with rotting, green flesh.
** His backstory, made DeliberatelyMonochrome, had him get ''[[DisproportionateRetribution run over by his tractor]]'' [[DisproportionateRetribution for building his farm on a graveyard]].
* '''''[[AIIsACrapshoot PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!]]'''''
* TheTeaser from "A Terrifying Round with a Menacing Metallic Clown", where a pair of siblings are playing mini-golf beside a giant clown head. Then the clown head comes to life and ''devours the boy'' and advances toward the girl before fade-out.
** Actually, the premise of this episode [[spoiler: Velma being terrified of clowns and playing Shaggy's part, while Shaggy takes Velma's part due to him being the headliner act of the mini-golf tournament where the action is taking place]] is just freaky if you know the characters at all. The role reversal is just creepy.
** The reason for Velma's half of the above spoiler is pretty darn creepy when you think about it. [[spoiler: At one of her childhood birthday parties, she received an encyclopedia set, which [[CuteBookworm naturally]] delighted her. However the clown performing at the party assumed it was just [[MyNewGiftIsLame some boring gift from an out-of-touch adult]] and proceeded to shred it to make confetti.]] Hard to blame Velma for how she reacted to that.
* The mummy from "Mummy Scares Best" is pretty creepy. Especially those [[RedEyesTakeWarning glowing red eyes]].
* Even though it's based on a popular misconception/UrbanLegend taken UpToEleven, the boat trip back from Alcatraz in "The Sanfranpsycho" with the gang's boat being repeatedly attacked by [[ThreateningShark ferocious sharks]].