* The whole concept of parents signing over kids to be "unwound". Being unwound amounts to having all of your organs harvested, which is essentially a death sentence. The kids have absolutely no say at all about what's going to happen to them.
** It's not even just organs. It's also your arms, legs, hands, feet, face, bones, and ''brain''. You're fully conscious the whole time, and [[spoiler: it's the last thing you remember when chunks of your brain get placed in another person. Some parts of your brain don't even remember you're essentially ''dead''.]] Talk about AndIMustScream.
* Roland's threatened rape of Risa, just to screw with Connor. Especially since she HatesBeingTouched.
* Tyler begging his parents not to unwind him, with no ability to understand that ''it's already happened''.
* The unwinding scene with Roland. Yeesh.
* [[spoiler:The So Called "Terror Generation" and "Feral Teens". Imagine the people in power potentially mess up your present and future so badly you'll have no choose but to labor in poverty on a broken planet for a corrupt and money hungry government for decades if it can be fixed at all. Finally you take matters into your own hands, trying to make someone fix things so you can have a decent life. But they just keep arguing over what is or isn't alive, giving nothing to the people who are already here. Then the people meant to protect you, your parents, the police, your government shoot you down in the streets, throw you in jail, and finally condemn you to a FateWorseThanDeath.]]
* The eventual fate of [[spoiler: Nelson]] in ''[=UnDivided=]''. [[spoiler: Being unwound ''without anesthesia.'']]
* The organ with ''eighty-eight living disembodied heads'' instead of pipes. When a key is pressed one of the heads calls out that note.
** And then in the novella ''Unknown Quantity'', Divan's sister Dagmara proceeds to play it, performing a complex and haunting piece that just furthers the Nightmare Fuel.
** Even worse is how [[spoiler: Divan decides to kill his sister in response to her attempt to poison him: He kills the pilot and copilot of the ''Lady Lucrezia'' and connects the organ to the autopilot, meaning the only way to keep the plane from crashing is to play the organ until it runs out of gas. Dagmara is forced to play the organ while Divan and Argent escape with the only available parachutes. The plane eventually crashes.]]