For the [[Series/TheWalkingDead TV show]], see '''[[NightmareFuel/TheWalkingDeadTVShow here]]'''.
For the [[VideoGame/TheWalkingDead video game]], see '''[[NightmareFuel/TheWalkingDeadVideoGame here]]'''.
* The worst part in the Apocalypse shown in these comics is this horrible fact: everyone will eventually become a walker. The bite isnít needed. If you die, you turn, thatís all. Imagine living with this fear of becoming one these creatures, no matter what. Or watching your loved ones dying and coming back as monsters. The only way out is to get killed twice. Youíll see many characters shooting their dead friends or family to save them from this fate. This simple idea is not only heartbreaking, itís sickening.
* While the zombies are bad, theyíre nothing compared to the human antagonists. In this hellish world, the idea that HumansAreTheRealMonsters has never been so true.
** The Governor. He feeds humans to the zombies. Keeps his zombified daughter as a pet (implying pedophile interactions between the two). Enjoys rape and torture. And this guy rules a city with these principles! The worst part is, unlike most villains, his actions are not justified at all. Heís simply a sadistic murderous psychopath. By himself, he killed more than a third of the protagonists, raped Michonne and amputated Rick's hand.
*** Michonne torturing the Governor is described in depth in the novel ''The Fall of the Governor: Part One'': She drilled into his shoulder, stuck a spoon in his anus before using it to scoop his eye out, and nailed his penis to the floor before cutting it off at the base. Granted that her actions may be justified, but just imagining how it must FEEL to be the Governor during this part is VERY unsettling and hurts if you think about it.
** Thomas Richards. He is in a freaking Zombie world, and what does he do to pass time? Decapitating children!
** The Hunters. They casually eat human flesh, even in front of their victims. They went as far to eat their own children! They feel guilty about this, but ignore the guilt. Also, if you think about it, they are realistic villains. In a Post-Apocalyptic world, where food becomes scarce, some people will be weak enough to resort to cannibalism. Yes, they eat humans, in a world where dead monsters eat humans. This makes the Hunters ''worse'' than the walkers, because they choose to be this way.
** The marauder who [[spoiler: tried to rape Carl.]] Even in the apocalypse, there are child molesters and rapists. And then you see [[spoiler: Rick ''biting'' into someone's throat]], and he's not even a walker!
* Rick's nightmare shortly after [[spoiler:the fall of the prison.]] The world is like it was before the apocalypse and Rick saves Carl from walking in front of a car only to go inside and start making out with Lori. Things then turn gruesome as [[spoiler:Lori turns into a zombie and begins taunting him over the fact that he couldn't save her, all while eating him alive. What makes it really horrible is how Rick doesn't fight back and just agrees with her.]]
-->"I deserve this... it's okay... I deserve this..."
* Douglas Monroe tells Rick about a story he heard about, which involved a boy's eyes sucked out by his father, who was on drugs. It's even more unsettling if you realize that this particular incident ''actually happened'' in real life.
* At one point, a group including Rick and Carl have to make it through a horde of zombies. The hold onto each other's hands and walk through in a straight chain. It goes well at first, then the other child of the group makes too much noise out of fear, and is grabbed by zombies who chow down (while screaming for his mother the entire time). The mother tries to pull him out, but only gets set on herself. She is still holding onto Carl and begs Rick to not leave them, but Carl is about to be grabbed next, so Rick has to ''cut off her hand at the wrist with a hatchet''. As Rick and Carl run, we can see the jutting stump of her arm still sticking out of the mass of zombies tearing her and her son to shreds. It doesn't help that the woman happened to be someone who [[spoiler: Rick was starting a relationship with. Not only that, when they clean up the bodies in the aftermath, they come upon her remains, which prompts Abraham to tell the workers to get rid of the body before Rick sees it]]. In a series full of gore, this scene stands as a shining example of how it doesn't discriminate with who dies and to what degree of painful a death.
* [[spoiler: Glenn's]] death. Being beaten to death with a baseball bat while the rest of the group is forced to watch. The art does not help, especially a shot where ''[[BodyHorror his fucking eye gets knocked out.]]''
** The brutality of it gets even worse when you realize that he died after the first couple of blows, but for no reason, Negan just keeps beating his head until it's nothing but mush.
* [[spoiler: Abraham's]] death. It's one thing to see someone get shot in the head with an arrow. But when you see a panel where said victim is still speaking WITH THE ARROW IN HIS HEAD, that's just super creepy.
* "I heard whispers, and I was afraid. [[spoiler: It was the dead. They were ''speaking''.]]"
** [[spoiler:The reality, that it is a group of survivors who are wearing the zombies' flesh as disguises, is not much better.]]
* The end of issue 143 where Alpha reveals her trump card to Rick. [[spoiler:It's an absolutely massive army of walkers that could easily overrun one of the group's settlements in a heartbeat if given the chance.]] Suddenly, all of those threats about destroying everything Rick cares about don't seem so empty...
* The ENTIRE second half of issue 144, where we get to see just what Alpha did in the previous issue. [[spoiler:After sneaking into the fair completely undetected she was able to capture about a dozen people from each of the three communities, take them out into the middle of a field and decapitate them with her machete. After that she had their heads impaled on posts to mark "her territory" with and warn against Rick's group bothering them again. The presence of Josh and Rosita (who was pregnant) shows that she had no problem killing children to make a point and all just because Carl followed Lydia back home. Oh, and Alpha is happy to confirm that what Lydia told Carl about her letting the men in her group rape her is indeed the truth and that she sees absolutely nothing wrong with it.]] Freaking NEGAN looks like a saint in comparison to this woman, which is truly horrifying.
!!Rise Of The Governor
!!Road To Woodbury
* Lilly's group finding a wrecked school bus on the side of the road, along with a horde of walkers eating the remains of the children who were inside it.
* Josh revealing what happened to his mother to Lilly. [[spoiler:When he got home from work he found a SWAT and hazmat team investigating and quarantining his apartment. He immediately rushes up stairs to find the room, in his own words, "painted with blood" along with his mothers remains scattered about over the table. What makes it worse is that she let the walkers in, thinking they were raggedy homeless people only to have them devour her alive.]] Josh is understandably reduced to tears.
!!Fall Of The Governor