!For the comic books:
* The Smurfs had their share of creepy adventures. Like ''The Black Smurfs'', where the Smurfs were being turned into evil black versions of themselves that could say nothing but "G'nap!", and bit each other on the tail to spread the infection.
** Worse was the ending of ''The Black Smurfs''. Papa Smurf had been bitten. The only reason anyone was cured was cartoon physics, with the fire spreading the antidote as a gas rather than diluting and burning it on the ground. Otherwise they'd all still be that way.
* In regards to the Purple Smurfs mentioned below, according to [[http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/01/the_10_most_disturbing_smurfs.php this site]], in the original Belgian comic, the Smurfs turned '''black'''. [[UnfortunateImplications No, really. Try wrapping your mind around all of that]].
!For ''The Smurfs and the Magic Flute'':
* Go [[NightmareFuel/TheSmurfsAndTheMagicFlute here]].
!For the Hanna Barbera cartoon:
* Aside from [[TheComplainerIsAlwaysWrong the occasionally creepy "groupthink" vibe]] common in cartoons during TheEighties, ''TheSmurfs'' had their share of creepy adventures. Like the episode where the Smurfs were being turned into evil purple versions of themselves that could say nothing but "G'nap!", and bit each other on the tail to spread [[TheVirus the infection]]. Or the ''ChristmasSpecial'' where they rescue 2 children and Gargamel from an evil wizard, who conjures a wall of fire around himself, the kids, and the IneffectualSympatheticVillain, only to fade away screaming in defeated despair under the Smurfs' repeated singing of a sappy holiday song. The ending to the 'G'nap!' episode looked bleak as even Papa Smurf had been bitten. The only reason anyone was cured was cartoon physics, with the fire spreading the antidote as a gas rather than diluting and burning it on the ground. Otherwise they'd all still be that way.
* There's also the episode "All Work and No Smurf", in which overworked Smurfs begin to transform into various inanimate objects. Talk about AndIMustScream. They still had mouths and spoke, which makes it ''worse''.
* The episode where Brainy Smurf gets turned into a monstrous Werewolf-Smurf creature from a scratch from a magical plant.
* Whatever you do, don't say "Kaplowey"! It'll make whatever you're pointing at vanish. People included. (At the end, using the word on the magic scroll that empowers it reverses the effect and things begin reappearing...[[FridgeLogic but a) who knows what dangerous things it might have been used on? and b) sooner or later the scroll will reappear too]]!
* First episode of season four, "Scary smurfs". Monster children abduct few smurfs as part of school project and turn them in monsters. It all turns out well at the end, but it is still very disturbing.
!For the 2011 movie:
* Seeing Papa Smurf suffer while Gargamel is zapping him is a little unsettling. Smurfette calling [[SayMyName his name]] doesn't help. Also, the scene where Gargamel starts capturing the Smurfs.
!For ''Smurfs 2'':
* Go [[NightmareFuel/TheSmurfs2 here]].