[[caption-width-right:235:Elecman shows why he's ThatOneBoss.]]
Music/TheProtomen are awesome indeed, but you may be wary of red lights, computer screens, and machines in general afterward...
!! Act I
* The manner in which Protoman dies in "Hope Rides Alone." He's literally torn apart as an impassive crowd watches.
--> ''They watched them beat him, they watched them break him...''
* The music video on the website makes it even ''worse''. Among other things, Protoman gets hit so hard his jawbone shatters, has an arm chopped off, and has his ''face'' electrocuted, creating the image of a skull.
** Also from the music video, there's a creepy shot of a doll hanging in effigy right as the first "We are the dead" kicks in.
** The Robot Masters as presented in the music video are themselves significantly different and creepier than their game counterparts. [[http://protomen.com/act1/images/wallpapers/elecface.jpg Especially Elecman]]. [[NightmareFace Dear god, the face]].
* Everything about the robot army, especially when they attack defenseless civilians on Wily's orders.
* The mantra. '''WE HAVE CONTROL. WE KEEP YOU SAFE. WE ARE YOUR HOPE.''' Repeating forever.
* The idea that the populace has been so thoroughly placated that they order Megaman to kill Protoman, after watching the latter ''die'' and doing nothing to help him.
* In live versions of "The Sons of Fate", even if the banter beforehand is silly, they play the song itself straight. Including Protoman waving a gatling gun in your face, the crowd that you're a part of calling for his death, and Wily's orders to kill them all.
** And in the song itself, Megaman tried so desperately to convince Protoman to not fight, ultimately failing as he kills his brother - [[MoralEventHorizon as the crowd cheers him on as their hero and wonders why he cries.]] [[HopeSpot Initially reprising the chorus from The Will of One,]] right as the crowd finishes praising him [[HeroicBSOD he snaps]] with a CallBack to ''Hope Rides Alone'' before [[DownerEnding leaving humanity to be ripped apart by Wily's robots.]]
--> [[DespairEventHorizon Megaman]]: '''You are the dead.'''
* "Fade to Phil," the extended version of "Due Vendetta", has creepy 8-bit chiptunes that keep playing as the song gets more and more distorted, eventually fading to static.
!! Act II
* The entirety of Act II. Light is an idealist, sure, but all he wants is to make sure that no one has to work themselves to death. Wily takes that dream, ''and utterly ruins it'' in the worst possible way, and Light's dream of a somewhat less dangerous life is corrupted so thoroughly that he desperately longs to kill Wily, despite being a gentle person before it all went to hell.
* The manner of Emily's death, and the fact that no one attended her funeral.
* Wily's takeover in "The Hounds."
--> ''After a few inspirational opening lines, Wily turned his attention to the matter at hand. Thomas Light. He assured them that the murderer would be apprehended. He promised them that their city would be made safe again. They trusted him completely.''
* In "Give Us the Rope," the crowd calls for Light to be hung, even after he was found innocent.
** Aside from calling for a hanging, the crowd wants to ''dismember'' Light.
--> ''Give us his hands! Give us his feet!''
* The heartbeat at the end of "How The World Fell Under Darkness." What happens to the City and its people is scary, too.
--> ''A generation grew up inside the metal hands that gently circled the neck of the city.''\\
''The undesirables, the homeless, the criminal element of the city, systematically vanished.''
* The Sniper managed to keep the entire City in line through fear alone. It killed Emily and nearly chokes Joe to death.
* The flatline representing Joe's death in "The Fall."
* As Dr. Light speaks in the beginning of "Here Comes the Arm," there's high-pitched, siren-like synthesizer waves representing Wily's control-and that the building is about to come down on his head.
** It's punctuated in the notes by thousands of Snipers marching out of Wily's fortress.
-->''Even from the courtyard, Light could make out the thousands upon thousands of green-helmeted robots marching from the steel gates of the complex.''\\
''Wily had built a fortress. He had built an army. He had been waiting for this moment to unleash it.''
* The [[http://www.twitch.tv/pax/b/330672275 live]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWGZgbaEEQ preview]] for an Act III song has Wily's mantra playing over the band members at points.
** The lyrics, while mainly depressing, are also frightening in that they show just how bad the City's gotten.
-->''For all of your heroes are gone...and the blood they spilled is on '''my hands'''! Your darkness will block out the sun... Not a thing can be done with so few men that a hero couldn't do!''
* In an interview from 2011, Panther said the following: "In total, The Protomen story is a tragedy. I donít really expect it to end well for humanity." That's right, it's potentially going to get ''worse''.
* Turbo Lover singing "I Want It All" on the Queen album has the capacity to brainwash.
* ''The Cover Up'' album is the soundtrack to a movie made during the time skip in "How the World Fell Under Darkness." The last story track cuts to Wily receiving an insufficient excuse and smashing something as soon as he hangs up the phone.
* [[http://i.imgur.com/B98sO.png This promo]] Music/MakeupAndVanitySet made for his ''Act I'' album fits in with the band's lore.
-->The first time I heard the robots marching I thought the world was swallowing us up. The sky turned black from the ash and fire. I tried to keep us together, but in the end I could not save them. I hid underground when they swept for survivors. The last of the armies fell as we reached the coast. We drew the drones out with sounds and frequencies. We ambushed the first attack with sines and saws and squares; a new sound.