[[caption-width-right:252:''MY BUGS! My bugs...'']]
Jack Skellington isn't the face of NightmareFuel (literally) for nothing.
* Jack unwittingly wakes an elf during "What's This". There's a good chance, if the elf's expression is anything to go by, that he won't sleep soundly for quite awhile.
* Pretty much all of Halloweentown's attempts at making Christmas.
* Oogie's death sequence. It's the horrible screams that did it.
--> "My bugs, my bugs...!" ''*crunch*''
::: The fact that it kind of sounded like he was saying "MY BONES!" makes it worse.
* The sequence when Jack delivers all the presents. All those demented, evil toys, and that [[WhyDidItHaveToBeSnakes snake thing]] that ate the tree...
* The shrunken head that one kid held up. It didn't help it played during one preview on t.v. a lot. He looked just as frightened as confused as real life kids did.
* The [[MonsterClown clown with the tearaway face]]. Is it the fact that ''he tore off his face'', the whole being-a-clown thing, or the way his voice changes? There's something so specifically freaky about that character that you wonder if it wasn't inspired by an actual nightmare of Burton's (or Selick's, or Elfman's...).
* FridgeHorror applies to [[QuirkyMinibossSquad Lock, Shock, and Barrel's]] fear that "Jack will beat us black and green". Jack probably isn't the type to hit kids. Oogie, on the other hand ...
** Add to this the fact that they are not only terrified of him but serve him anyway, and the fact that they are implied during the ending (and much of the film, really) to be mostly harmless tricksters, and you begun to wonder just what Oogie did or said to get the trio THAT MUCH under his thrall.
* The end of Oogie Boogie's song when he goes from bright green to dark gray and then he did that demonic laugh. Yikes!
* When Jack gets to the end of the Town Meeting song, and sings "Sandy Claws" he does a rather frightening face that fills up the screen.
* "Kidnap the Sandy Claws, throw him in a box, bury him for ninety years, then see if he talks!"
** "We're his little henchmen, and we do our job with pride. We do our best to please him and remain on his good side."
** Evil 'lalala's of evilness... *shudders*
** That poor bug they trapped. First they dunk it in something that turns it green, then they send it down to Oogie Boogie. It has time for a terrified squeak before ''it's sucked out of the cage and devoured''.
* Seeing ''Santa'' tied up and helpless on top of that table-platform thingy as the black lights go up, the bats screech, and then Oogie Boogie walks in, and you know he's up to no good.
* That alternate scene where instead of a pumpkin, the vampires are playing ice hockey with a severed head (Creator/TimBurton's in fact). No wonder they cut it.
* "I am the one hiding under your bed. [[MoreTeethThanTheOsmondFamily Teeth ground sharp]] and [[RedEyesTakeWarning eyes glowing red.]]"
** And you can't see anything except those teeth and eyes. NothingIsScarier indeed.
* The scene where Jack is sneaking around Christmas Town like some giant, suit-wearing spider is intensely creepy and out-of-place in the cheerful setting, despite [[SoundtrackDissonance the happy-go-lucky soundtrack to the scene.]] The bit where he ''crawls through a window UPSIDE DOWN and lands in a normal-looking crouch without visibly changing his position'' especially stands out.
** Some might not find it frightening as Jack is just exploring the world of Christmas Town. True, he would easily stick out like a sore thumb in a place like that, but he doesn't mean any harm.
* Behemoth, the resident of Halloweentown with the ax lodged in his cranium.
* The Melting Man whose body is constantly melting like wax.
* [[ParanoiaFuel "I am the 'who' when you call 'who's there?'"]]