[[caption-width-right:262:''MY BUGS! My bugs! [-my bugs!-] [---my bugs...---]'']]
* [[HorrifyingHero Jack Skellington]] is considered to be the personification of NightmareFuel, and with good reason. He's a skeleton, tall and thin, with long, spider-like limbs. He moves and acts like something out of a child's nightmare, and his face is a skeleton skull. His eyes are empty pits, and his smile, even when it's sincere and kind, sends a shiver down the spine. He is The Pumpkin King, because he is the greatest in Halloween Town.
** Putting it simply, when the guy who, for all intents and purposes is the fracking boogeyman, just about shits a brick when Jack shows up...
* Jack unwittingly wakes an elf during "What's This". There's a good chance, if the elf's expression is anything to go by, that he won't sleep soundly for quite awhile.
* Pretty much all of HalloweenTown's attempts at making Christmas.
* Oogie's death sequence. It's the horrible screams that did it.
--> "My bugs, [--my bugs...!--]" ''*crunch*''
** The fact that it kind of sounded like he was saying "MY BONES!" makes it worse. Especially when you consider the fact that ''[[FridgeHorror that's exactly what they are for him]]''...
** It gets even ''worse'' when you realize that Jack basically just '''[[FamilyUnfriendlyDeath skinned Oogie]]''' '''''[[FamilyUnfriendlyDeath alive]]!''''' ON SCREEN, no less! ''*shudders*''
* The sequence when Jack delivers all the presents. All those demented, evil toys, and that [[WhyDidItHaveToBeSnakes snake thing]] that ate the tree...
** The snake thing can also be seen trying to eat one of the monsters during "Making Christmas".
* The shrunken head that one kid held up. It didn't help it played during one preview on TV a lot. He looked just as frightened as confused as real life kids did.
* The [[MonsterClown Clown with the Tear-Away Face]]. Is it the fact that ''he tore off his face'', the whole being-a-clown thing, or the way his voice changes? There's something so specifically freaky about that character that you wonder if it wasn't inspired by an actual nightmare of Burton's (or Selick's, or Elfman's...).
** In the Russian version, his voice stays normal when he rips off his face...for all of two seconds. It then slowly becomes a ''VoiceOfTheLegion''.
*** Some [[FreezeFrameBonus blink-and-you'll-miss-it]] [[WhatCouldHaveBeen storyboards]] in the special features show ''something'' beneath the face; whether it's a new, monstrous face or bare muscle, it screams BodyHorror.
* FridgeHorror applies to [[QuirkyMinibossSquad Lock, Shock, and Barrel's]] fear that "Jack will beat us black and green". Jack probably isn't the type to hit kids. Oogie, on the other hand ...
** Add to this the fact that they are not only terrified of him but serve him anyway, and the fact that they are implied during the ending (and much of the film, really) to be mostly harmless tricksters, and you begun to wonder just what Oogie did or said to get the trio THAT MUCH under his thrall.
* The end of Oogie Boogie's song when he goes from bright green to dark gray and then he did that demonic laugh. Yikes!
* When Jack gets to the end of the Town Meeting song, and sings "Sandy Claws" he does a rather frightening face that fills up the screen.
* "Kidnap the Sandy Claws, throw him in a box, bury him for ninety years, then see if he talks!"
** "We're his little henchmen, and we do our job with pride. We do our best to please him and stay on his good side."
** Evil 'lalala's of evilness... *shudders*
** If you think the movie version is scary, listen to the Korn cover.
** That poor bug they trapped. First they dunk it in something that turns it green, then they send it down to Oogie Boogie. It has time for a terrified squeak before ''it's sucked out of the cage and devoured''.
*** FridgeBrilliance: Glow-in-the-dark paint often looks green under normal light, and Oogie Boogie is ''made of bugs that glow in the dark''...
* Seeing ''Santa'' tied up and helpless on top of that table-platform thingy as the black lights go up, the bats screech, and then Oogie Boogie walks in, and you know he's up to no good.
** The mere thought of anything terrible happening to Santa Claus is terrifying to anyone, but children will probably be especially horrified that the person threatening to torture and then murder Santa is ''the Boogie Man''. Santa Claus, a famous childhood icon, is being tortured by the Boogie Man, a famous childhood ''fear''. Now that's terrifying.
* That alternate scene where instead of a pumpkin, the vampires are playing ice hockey with a severed head (Creator/TimBurton's in fact). No wonder they cut it.
* "I am the one hiding under your bed. [[MoreTeethThanTheOsmondFamily Teeth ground sharp]] and [[RedEyesTakeWarning eyes glowing red.]]"
** And you can't see anything except those teeth and eyes. NothingIsScarier indeed.
** And this thing is supposed to be hiding under ''[[TheFourthWallWillNotProtectYou the viewer's]]'' bed. Since he's a HalloweenTown resident, he probably doesn't mean any real harm, but it's still really unsettling that a creature would be lurking down there, waiting to come out and scare you out of your wits.
** Mind listening to it [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1fGfEyfkQY in Russian?]] THEN you will DEFINITELY never look under your bed ever again...
* The scene where Jack is sneaking around Christmas Town like some giant, suit-wearing spider is intensely creepy and out-of-place in the cheerful setting, despite [[SoundtrackDissonance the happy-go-lucky soundtrack to the scene.]] The bit where he ''crawls through a window UPSIDE DOWN and lands in a normal-looking crouch without visibly changing his position'' especially stands out.
** Some might not find it frightening as Jack is just exploring the world of Christmas Town. True, he would easily stick out like a sore thumb in a place like that, but he doesn't mean any harm.
* Behemoth, the resident of HalloweenTown with the ax lodged in his cranium. He seems like [[GentleGiant a pretty nice guy]], though.
* The Melting Man whose body is constantly melting like wax.
* [[ParanoiaFuel "I am the 'who' when you call 'who's there?'"]]
* Hanging Tree with his five living skeletons being hung on nooses on his branches!
** In the Russian dub, they speak with voices that make them sound like they're ''desperately gasping for breath''.
* When Oogie realizes Sally tricked him and is trying to get Santa out, he gives a furious roar and sucks them both back into the lair.
-->"'''[[BigWhat WHAT?!?]]''' YOU TRYIN' TO MAKE A DUPE OUT OF ME?!"
* However well-intentioned it was, Jack's attempt to be Santa Claus. What if someone had gotten hurt by one of those toys?
** The fact that Jack caused all of this trouble, without meaning any harm. He darn near destroyed ''Christmas'', simply because he didn't know any better.
*** Some consider it a TearJerker if taking in consideration that, since the toys were made by the Halloween Town citizens (who never wish to harm anyone), there is the possibility that the toys really just wanted to play (even the snake). Becomes a nightmare fuel when, after Jack's fall in the cemetery, you get a lovely shot of some of the toys burning. Their faces are especially haunting as they seem to be in actual pain.
* Just to emphasize after most points here mentioning it: the russian version of "This is Halloween". It takes the creepy scene, mixes it with voices from Hell and takes everything [[UpToEleven Up To Eleven]].
* [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ll2vP4L_eA Jack Skellington's Nightmare Face is definetely unpleasent for children]]
** For those who are too afraid to click the link above, Shock starts to choke Lock after Jack shows them what Santa's holiday door looks like. While the two are fighting, Jack pulls off a terrifying [[NightmareFace Nightmare Face]] traumatyzing both the trio and audiences for years to come.