[[caption-width-right:350: "Well, well, Link. WeMeetAgain."]]
Thought that a portable outing such as ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaOracleGames'' was too "cute" to have the games' infamous amount of NightmareFuel? Think again! This ''is'' ''NightmareFuel/TheLegendOfZelda'' for crying out loud!
* Maple's unexpected appearances can be scary, especially with the sudden music change.
* The very first dungeon in ''Ages'' has a Wallmaster right before the boss room.
* Going to [[LethalLavaLand Symmetry City]] in Ages for the first time in the present could come off as quite frightening, as the entire town had been destroyed and the game's "Sadness" theme was playing in the background, which, coupled with red and brown colors in stark contrast with the lighter palette of other areas in the present, gave the place a very tragic feeling. If Link had previously visited Symmetry City in the past, everyone could be found panicking about the broken [[FunWithPalindromes Tuni Nut]] almost causing the local volcano to erupt; the results of said eruption can be seen by using the Tune of Currents and skipping 500 years into the future.
* Subrosia is pretty much hell: full of fire, suspicious hooded individuals, and dead pirates. Additionally, Onox sunk the temple of seasons there, effectively damning it.
* Koume and Kotake, better known as Twinrova from ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaOcarinaOfTime''. At the end of an unlinked game, the two witches are [[JumpScare introduced]] with a full-screen view of [[GrossUpCloseUp their absolutely ghastly evil smiles and deformed faces.]]
* ''Oracle of Seasons'' has Unicorn's Cave at level five, where cute flying helmet-like heads fly around. The "cute" aspect is dropped as soon as they turn around, which is when players find out those things are very difficult to kill. They shoot fireballs, take a few shots, and never get that close within distance.
* The JumpScare of Facade from ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaLinksAwakening'' showing up in Onox's Castle. This is bad enough to get you repeatedly, as he appears with loud noises and after you walk into the room.
* Queen Ambi's guards throw you out if they catch you in the palace gardens, but not in the palace itself. They swarm you at once and try to kill you, and do quite a lot of damage.
* The trap in the Ancient Ruins that [[TheWallsAreClosingIn makes the walls close in]] and [[NonStandardGameOver kill you instantly]] if you cannot get to the exit in time. Not helping is that if you dawdle, the entire screen is crushed between the walls, making the room appear much narrower.
* If the Great Moblin catches you setting his bombs on fire, [[NonStandardGameOver he will throw you into the exploding building and there is nothing you can do to stop him]]. He catches you the third time you set a lit bomb in his bomb heap (but not if you use fire seeds).