Prior to ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaOracleGames'', there was one game that pioneered the Zeldaverse in portable form. Its name is ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaLinksAwakening''.
The game's mission was bringing the refined gameplay from ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaALinkToThePast'' on portables, but back then nobody could possibly predict it would have brought the series' well-known-by-now [[NightmareFuel/TheLegendOfZelda scare factor]] as well.
[[folder: In order for Nightmare Fuel tabs to survive, a new writing style is going to be used, nicknamed '''Example Lobotomy'''. Basic rules: just list facts as they are, don't just say "character X" or "the X scene" (such Administrivia/zero context examples will be zapped), spoiler policy to be determined on a case-by-case basis, italics to be applied to works' names only and not to give emphasis on what tropers say. "X scared me" is already implied by the mere addition of that example by the troper. ]]
* The game ends [[spoiler:with a DreamApocalypse: you've just erased Koholint Island from existence, alongside Tarin, the villagers, the animals don't exist anymore, Bow-Wow the Chain Chomp, none of which exist anymore.]] Unless you get to unlock the [[ThatOneAchievement borderline unachievable]] [[spoiler: special ending]], even [[spoiler:Marin]] is among the casualties.
** However[[spoiler:, a dream logic is that the world of dreams only truly ends when the dreamer dies, because said places of dreams can be revisited over and over. As long as the Wind Fish lives, Koholint will appear and disappear over and over, but no longer plagued by monsters.]]
* The southern Face Shrine as a whole is pretty disturbing for an 8-bit Zelda game, with the eerie fresco, the apocalyptic messages, and the somber music. It's also where the island's [[TownWithADarkSecret dark secret]] is discovered.
* Key Cavern's BGM starts a bit too loud, [[JumpScare which can make the moment you enter the dungeon pretty unnerving the first time around.]]
* The shopkeeper has one rule of thumb: ShopliftAndDie. You actually can get away with stealing: after getting out of the shop fine, the game goes, "You got it for free! Are you proud of yourself?", then a few hours later you forget all about it. The problem is, the shopkeeper didn't forget: he is just standing there before he - no kidding - delivers a OneHitKill with a [[ShockAndAwe lightning attack]] if you happen to access the shop again.
** Which means that if you're trying for [[spoiler:the best ending]], once you steal from him ''you can never return to the shop again, [[MarkOfShame THIEF]]''.
* If you get knocked off the edge of the arena by the first boss, you won't just respawn with half a heart missing like in the rest of the game, oh no. You'll find yourself in some kind of execution chamber with skeletons hanging by chains from the ceiling. Holy shit, Nintendo!