The Doors are particually known for their haunting music and Morrison's spooky lyrics. The fact that Jim Morrison eventually died at 27, in mysterious circumstances, only adds to the creepy atmosphere of many of their songs.
* ''The Unknown Soldier'' where halfway the song a soldier is shot by a firing squad. The entire song calls up images of soldiers dying in battle, while ''"television children are fed"''. A thinly disguised jab at the VietnamWar, which was televised for generations to be scarred by the images.
* ''The End''. Singing about impending doom is already scary in itself, but near the end Morrison sings about killing his father, raping his mother, whereupon he screams in agony. After this parental murder the lyrics come back one more final time, before Morrison concludes the song with a haunting moan: ''"This is the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend!"''
* ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAr-WlxMZY&feature=related When The Music's Over]]''. Morrison singing in a disturbingly outstretched song about the moment when ''"the music is over"''. The end is especially frightening when he shouts that ''"music is your only friend... until the end"'', whereupon the entire world seems to die along with him.
* ''People Are Strange'', where Morrison sings about how ''"faces come out of the rain"''.
* ''Five To One'': ''[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKtvvI0g2uo No one here gets out alive.]]''
* The bizarre and disturbing imagery of ''"Not To Touch The Earth"''.
* ''"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down..."''
* ''Horse Latitudes''. Basically, Jim Morrison screaming lyrics for a minute and a half while his bandmates howl like banshees the entire time.
* ''Riders On The Storm'': ''"Into this life we're born / into this world we're thrown / like a dog without a bone, an actor out on loan (...) there's a killer on the road / his brain is squirming like a toad"''
** If you listen carefully, you'll notice a quietly mixed whispered backing vocal throughout the song that is [[SelfBackingVocalist also done by Jim]]. Every single line of the song is whispered in unison with the lead vocals. It really adds to the eerie mood.
* ''The Spy'', which could be the theme song for any StalkerWithACrush.
* When Morrison was a very young child he once witnessed a car accident where several Native Americans were, according to him, shattered on the road. The image haunted him for his entire life and inspired many of his most chilling songs, including ''Peace Frog'': "Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding, ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind."''
* '''''YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!'''''