* Skull Reaper, the very last boss that they fight, [[spoiler: just before the reveal that Heatcliff was actually Kayaba]], pictured above. No wonder everyone was running away in fear.
** It's actually worse than it looks. It killed several players with a OneHitKill attack.
* The entire premise of the Aincrad Arc. 10,000 people think they signed up for a game, and instead they were really signing up for a war, and they don't even get to go through basic training first. As many of them die in the first month as do in the next two years. EverythingIsTryingToKillYou, and even some of the players start murdering each other. Basically, the entire Aincrad Arc is scary.
* In ''A Murder Case in the Area'', [[spoiler:Grimlock arranged the murder of his guildmaster and ''real life wife'' Griselda because she actually rose to the challenge that SAO provided and she was no longer as [[ExtremeDoormat submissive and dependent on him]] as she used to be IRL.]]
* The opening to Episode 15. Everything's nice and calm and peaceful. And then the world breaks.
* When people come out of their virtual imprisonment, both in SAO & ALO, they're disoriented, their muscles are atrophied, etc. They're helpless. Think about what would've happened if [[spoiler: Kirito hadn't stopped Sugou's knife attack outside the hospital where Asuna just woke up. After he'd already declared he was going to rape her while comatose.]]
* Poor Asuna. Her example actually crosses with FridgeHorror if you analyze what she had to go through. First off, it is implied she may have had no experience with gaming ever before, since, in her misfortune she got into SAO out of curiosity by borrowing her brother's nervegear (who could not play on the first day), only to find out she is stuck [[spoiler:for over two years]] in a virtual world where there's death around every corner. Just look how mentally broken she is when introduced early in the story.[[spoiler: And then, after SAO is completed, what next? Instead of finally achieving her freedom, she is imprisoned inside another game by a friend of her family, who turns out to be an AxCrazy pervert threatening her to rape and brainwash her into submission.]] Kirito is the only thing that keeps her sane.
* When Asuna's former escort [[spoiler: reveals to be an AxCrazy killer who almost suceeded in murdering Kirito. All with a poison that paralyzes him]]. Thank goodness Asuna had Kirito on her friend list.
* Sugou might as well be the most sadistic asshole to walk the earth. Basically, just before his defeat, [[spoiler: [[MoralEventHorizon He molests Asuna after stripping her. IN FRONT OF KIRITO.]]]]
** Not to mention that if [[spoiler: Sugou hadn't been stopped by Kirito, he would have raped Asuna, who was ''in a coma,'' in her hospital bed.]]
* Death Gun. To the average person, the idea that they could die in a game is already frightening. To SAO players, it's basically living through the infamous "death game" all over again, [[spoiler: especially since two of the people behind Death Gun were members of Laughing Coffin]].
** What's even more scary is the secret behind how Death Gun kills. [[spoiler: Someone breaks into your house and gives you a lethal injection. If your consciousness is inside a game, [[FridgeHorror what's protecting your body]]?]]
*** [[spoiler:And the threat doesn't have to be malicious, either. What happens if your house catches fire? You won't even hear the smoke detector!]]