%%Image selected per Image Pickin' thread: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1305512017020776900
%%Please do not change or remove without starting a new thread.
[[caption-width-right:350:That looks rather painful.]]
* [[BigBad Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious]] was arguably the most terrifying character in the entire franchise. Palpatine seems to be the most needlessly evil, and outright cruel character. It is virtually uncountable the number of deaths orchestrated by himself. He orchestrated every atrocity that occurs throughout the franchise.
** He is a resemblance of power-hungry, selfish politicians in the real world (past, present, and future), and his force lightning is absolutely terrifying - so terrifying that only Yoda has managed to push it off.
** The ExpandedUniverse implies that also killed his own parents and siblings, showing how monstrous he really is.
** Worse, in the film, Darth Vader himself says that the Emperor is not as forgiving as [[YouHaveFailedMe him]].
** Throughout the films, we find out he is behind almost all the bad things that happen—he engineered the invasion of his own home planet, started the Clone Wars and used the start of the war to gain considerable emergency powers, nearly annihilated the Jedi Order '''including the children''', turned Anakin to the Dark Side, killed and disposed his loyal Separatist allies when he had no use for them anymore and made the Republic into a fascist dictatorship ruling by fear and using planet-destroying superweapons like the Death Star against anything with the idea of dissenting and personally destroying entire populations that conspire against him. He only has loyality to himself—it is implied in Episode VI that he treated Darth Vader as expandable when Luke defeated him and wanted to make Luke his apprentice instead while leaving Vader to die.
** To get an idea on how terrifyingly evil Palpatine is, his own actor directly compares him [[SatanicArchetype to the Devil.]] Not just that, but he claims that Palatine ''[[UpToEleven is more evil.]]''
* Film/RevengeOfTheSith, being easily the darkest in the prequel trilogy if not the whole series, has clear cases of this.
** Anakin [[spoiler:''decapitating'' Count Dooku]] in order of Palpatine.
** [[MoralEventHorizon Order 66]]. Watching [[spoiler:several Jedi be killed by the clone troopers they trusted]] is not only [[TearJerker sad]], but fairly disturbing, [[FridgeHorror especially when you think about it]]. [[spoiler:An especially hard-hitting case is Ki-Adi Mundi's death, where he's leading a group of clone troopers through [[SnowMeansDeath a dark and snowy area]] only for them to turn against him and shoot him to death mercilessly. Ki-Adi-Mundi's expression as he turns around and [[OhCrap slowly realizes that the clones have stopped and are aiming at him]] without even knowing why they're doing it is just icing on the nightmaretastic cake.]]
*** The horrific ruthlessness of the clone. Surprisingly, according to the monologue in [[StarWarsBattlefront Star Wars Battlefront 2,]] [[http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ki-Adi-Mundi troopers kind of disliked Ki-Adi-Mundi]], but what about [[spoiler: Obi-Wan? According to the cartoon, he and Cody were allies and friends for YEARS]] and he had no hesitation in fulfilling the order 66. The fact that the clones could be your friends, but be absolute obedient to the point where they will do anything is huge ParanoiaFuel and just plain ''disturbing.''
** Anakin's [[spoiler:implied-but-[[VillainyDiscretionShot not-actually-shown]] murder of the children in the Jedi temple]] during this scene.
--->'''Child''': Master Skywalker, what are we going to do?
--->'''Anakin''': ''(a moment of silence, [[NothingIsScarier and then his lightsaber activates]])''
*** His march to the Jedi Temple (With hundreds of Clones in tow) was not much better. While not directly nightmare-inducing, you just tell just by watching (And thanks to Mr. John Williams, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU-XetsszrU hearing]]) that things are only going to get ''worse...''
** After the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel on Mustafar, [[spoiler:[[GoodIsNotSoft Obi-Wan leaves Anakin slowly and painfully burning next to a lava river, and the movie actually shows us this burning]].]] [[WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids Yeah, this film earned its PG-13 rating, all right.]]
** Consider this: for many children, both ''RevengeOfTheSith'' and ''TheEmpireStrikesBack'' are probably the first films they've ever seen in which the bad guys actually ''win''; the heroes are either dead or have barely escaped with their lives.
** Minor in comparison to the ones above, but in the beginning battle when Obi-Wan and Anakin are fighting their way onto Grievous's command ship. They get attacked by a group of Buzz Droids, tiny droids that like to tear things (including ships and droids) apart. R2 is able to fight them off pretty easy, but R4 ends up getting it's head torn off and sent flying into space squealing all the way. Obi-Wan looks quite perturbed after having witnessed it.
--->'''Obi-Wan''': Oh, dear...
** When Anakin kills Dooku, he's highly conflicted about it. When Vader kills the council in the book, he doesn't bat an eye. In fact, he makes little quips about it. [[BlackHumor Remarkably funny quips]].
** The death of General Grievous was pretty graphic for a PG-13 film. [[spoiler: First, Obi-Wan rips his chest plating open, exposing the working organs suspended in life-preserving gel. After he gets thrown away, Obi-Wan uses his Jedi powers to snatch one of the General's heavy blasters. He fires a shot right into his chest, the General reaching down to grasp at the now burning organ sack, before Obi Wan keeps firing. By the end of his shots, the General has jets of flames ''shooting out of his eye sockets'' before he crashes to the deck, every organic part in his body charred to ashes.]]
* Film/ANewHope has the IT-O interrogator droid used to interrogate Leia. Interesting euphemism, "interrogator droid". The radio adaptation actually shows us Vader's mind probe-assisted interrogation of Leia, and it's terrifying. First, he tries to convince her he's another rebel who needs to know where the Death Star plans are, before just causing her horrible pain.
** During this moment in the NPR version, Vader attempts to invoke her loyalty to her father. If you've seen the movies and know the truth, it's rather chilling.
** The dianoga (the creature in the trash compactor).
** The sight of [[spoiler:the charred corpses of Owen and Beru]]. It is very brief; you could easily miss it; but [[http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/corpses1_5917.jpg it's there all right.]]
* Film/TheEmpireStrikesBack has the Wampa scene, the cave on Dagobah, the torture, and the [[AndIMustScream carbonite-freezing]] of Han Solo.
** ''Especially'' the wampa. ''[[http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061124141159/starwars/images/d/d0/SkywalkerWampa.jpg Look at it]]''. Especially when Luke is hanging helpless from the ceiling while the wampa is gnawing on his tauntaun nearby, and, before he can grab his lightsaber, it looks up, pauses, then starts slowly advancing towards him.
** Vader killing Admiral Ozzel. We've seen him use the Force-choke before but this is more chilling because he's able to do it through a video screen! He doesn't even have to be in the same room to kill you, just establish a line of sight. What are the limits to this? Can he choke someone from across a galaxy?
** When Han starts flying the Millenium Falcon out of the asteroid, only to discover that [[spoiler:they were inside a giant space slug the entire time.]]
** The moment when Luke, disregarding Obi-Wan and Yoda's warning that he has no chance against Darth Vader, leaves to help his friends in the Sith Lord's clutches. Specifically, when Yoda contradicts Obi-Wan's comment about Luke being their last chance with "No, ThereIsAnother.'" At that point, your horror for Luke will spike when you realize the kid has just lost his PlotArmor.
** The moment when Luke faces Vader in the carbon-freezing chamber. Specifically, when Vader knocks Luke down the stairs early in the fight, Vader leaps at him like a dark wraith from your deepest nightmares.
** Then there's Vader's [[WhamLine wham ]][[LukeIAmYourFather line]]. In the mind of a child, the very possibility of such a terrifying villain being the father of the hero must seem abhorrent.
** The whole carbon freezing scene. The atmosphere is, frankly, hellish, with red lights and steam galore. Han's forced into the chamber after sharing a last kiss with Leia, the process starts, he's obscured by the carbon mist. When the process is complete claw reaches in, pulls out a ''slab'', it's pushed over and lands hard with a clang - first part of a double shock, because we have a lovely close up of Han's face, frozen in pain and fear, trying to ward off his fate despite himself. Lando specifically says the process can kill him and that Vader is testing it to make sure it won't kill Luke. Luke proceeds to get stuck in the carbon freezer as Vader pulls the switch. Thank God Luke got out of there in time and didn't suffer the same fate Han did.
** How about the part where Luke is hanging for dear life from the underside of Cloud City? Not only was there no way for him to get back up, but there was no one nearby to save him! If it weren't for his use of the Force to send Leia back for him, he would've been close to falling down through a ''gas giant'', i.e. a planet with no solid ground whatsoever, just layer after layer of potentially poisonous gases.
* Film/ReturnOfTheJedi has the [[ColdBloodedTorture Cold Blooded]] ElectricTorture Palpatine inflicts on Luke Skywalker, after he confirms that he'll never turn to the dark side.
** The Sarlaac, which is said by Threepio to keep people alive for a thousand years, as they're slowly digested.
*** It ATE Boba Fett... may be subverted by the fact that he survived this, as explained in the EU. May also be even worse when you think about what it was like while he was down there.
*** Or, from the Sarlaac's perspective: You have just eaten something that disagrees with you. And it has begun ''fighting its way out'' from inside your stomach.
** The Rancor.
* When [=C-3PO=] and [=R2-D2=] were arriving in Jabba's lair, there's this large shadowy figure of a spider in the background.
* Darth Maul, especially on the [[http://filmmusic.ru/images/Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_ultimate_edition.JPG Ultimate Edition CD cover.]] [[SarcasmMode Sweet dreams, everyone.]]
** Darth Maul's FamilyUnfriendlyDeath also counts. Seriously, the dang image of him [[http://images.wikia.com/swfanon/images/5/52/Maul_bisected.jpg falling down that reactor shaft]].
** The EU says, [[spoiler: Darth Maul survived that experience. Imagine going through that and no one comes to help you until YEARS later after you have gone almost completely insane.]] Family unfriendly indeed.
* In ''Film/ThePhantomMenace'', in the climax when the Nabooean pilots make off in their recently-liberated fighters, one of them takes a hit from a gun turret and loses an engine, plummeting helplessly to a fiery crash in the valley below. Imagine what those last moments had to be like for the pilot.
* Attack of the Clones:
** Anakin killing the Tusken Raiders, not just the men, but the women and the innocent children too.
* The Dark Side ending of the first game from ''TheForceUnleashed''. [[spoiler: After killing Darth Vader, Starkiller tries unsuccessfully to attack Palpatine. Next thing he knows, Palpatine grips the Rogue Shadow with the Force and, with Juno Eclipse still inside the ship, throws it on top of Starkiller. The last thing Starkiller sees is darkness until he wakes up on an operating table, finding himself being clad in a suit of life support armor.]] Add some last-second EyeScream, and you'll wish [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Vr5jxUtak you'd chosen a different final boss.]]
** The second game's Dark Side ending would also count for some. Starkiller raises his lightsaber, ready to end the threat once and for all. Suddenly, [[BackStab a blood-red lightsaber emerges from Starkiller's chest.]] The attacker decloaks, revealing a hooded figure. [[CoolOldGuy Rahm]] [[BlindSeer Kota]] charges. The hooded figure whips around, blocks all his attacks, and flings him into his Rebel escort. Then, he sends them flying to the ocean below. Vader stands over Starkiller, and says that [[BatmanGambit he lied when the cloning process hadn't been perfected.]] The hooded figure reveals himself. His face is a perfect image of Starkiller, only devoid of ANY emotion. That has to give one chills.
* ''TheForceUnleashed'' sequel has a level on a [[CoolStarship Nebulon-B frigate]]. The ship is boarded by unknown forces, led by Boba Fett, but as you go on through the level, you learn that what your facing is terrifying. The [[GoddamnedBats spider droids]] latch onto you with razor-sharp pincers. The [[CombatSadomasochist infantry]] can teleport away from your lightsaber strikes, and have cybernetic upgrades along the lines of Grievous. The [[TheBrute giants]] have scalding hot claws specifically designed to cleave through durasteel. The [[DiscOneFinalBoss walker]] could crush you like a bug, and has a [[HellIsThatNoise screech that sounds like a demon had it's vocal chords ripped out, and combined with nails on a chalkboard.]] As you progress through this level, you'll learn that this contingent of EliteMooks are called the [[NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast Terror Troops]] for a very good reason.
* KnightsOfTheOldRepublic has enough to have [[NightmareFuel/KnightsOfTheOldRepublic its own page.]]
* There was a webcomic called [[http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evasive_Action Evasive Action]], which described the lives of three Padawans who survived Order 66 and went into hiding. They were on Felucia when Order 66 was issued, and in a convenient spot to watch Aayla Secura [[http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:ZonderOrder66.jpg get shot down by her own troops]]. Take a look at the background image of Aayla's DiesWideOpen expression... yeah.
* ''[[NewJediOrder Destiny's Way]]'' mentions some of the critters employed in the Yuuzhan Vong [[HumanSacrifice Sentient Sacrifice]]. Flaying knives, flesh-eating beetles... We knew already that it wasn't a barrel of laughs, these being the Yuuzhan Vong and all, but still...
** And it says that it takes several hours, and the victim is generally conscious for most of it--presumably, [[FridgeHorror the Vong have means to keep them from blacking out]].
* The WesternAnimation/StarWarsTheCloneWars shows [[spoiler: Darth Maul survived like stated above, but we get to see the pleasant details of the aftermath of the experience and the results of it. Darth Maul is insane, looks like S***, made barely functional mechanical legs for himself, was being manipulated by a local resident, get his spider legs replaced by a Sith magician in probably the most painful way imaginable, him going on a WIDE and merciless killing spree with his brother, all the horrible deeds he does after that including almost killing Obi-Wan, and finally ending with him undergoing ColdBloodedTorture by Sidious.]] There's a reason he is listed as a MAJOR KnightOfCerebus.
* Joruus C'baoth's MindRape of General Covell. Imagine a ''military officer'' having to relearn the concept of ''obedience''!