** "I will show you... eternityyy..." *''Sickening crunch''*
** "[[HypnoticEyes Look into my eyes...]] See? They are the twin pools of eternity. Sink into them, and you will find [[DarkIsEvil darkness]] and [[DeadlyEuphemism rest.]]"
* In this Troper's opinion, the scene where Matthias rescues Warbeak from Asmodeus puts it UpToEleven. Here we have Cluny who captures Warbeak. She [[DistressedDamsel gets tied down so she can't fly away]]. Surrounding the clearing is very tall grass. Some of it begins to move from a far and we see shots of Asmodeus slowly approaching as if trying to track Warbeak down with his smell. Mathias is on the other end of the tall grass, under a lot of pressure. Not only because he has to rescue Warbeak, but also has to avoid being seen by Cluny or Asmodeus. Just a matter of who gets to whom first is scary enough.
* That hedgehog in ''Doomwyte'' that got stung to death by thousands of bees.
* The most nightmarish death in the series by far is [[spoiler:Ungatt Trunn]]'s. First, [[spoiler:his spine is broken by Lord Brocktree. Then his "carcass" is tossed out towards the sea. However, it is revealed later on that [[AndIMustScream he's still alive, but can't move or speak, is enduring an unbearable amount of pain, and the tide is slowly coming in, ready to take his body into the sea.]] It isn't until [[TheDogBitesBack one of his former comrades comes by and kicks him into the sea]] that he actually dies.]] Did we mention an entire (albeit short) chapter is dedicated to his death?
* Also from Doomwyte, the huge blind adder. Starts off as a highly effective silent killer. After getting a face full of hedgehog spikes, and said wounds become infected, the snake goes completely insane. For comparison, take Asmodeus, make him bigger, smarter, and generally more dangerous. Now make him batshit insane and blind. Not pretty.
* [[NightmareFace Slagar's deformed face]]. Ick.
** Riggu Felis' deformed face as well.
* [[spoiler:Balefur]]'s death in ''Outcast''. He was a total jerk, but he didn't deserve such a horrible death.
** There's also Swartt's horrific revenge on two dissenters. He forces one of them to feed the other a dead crow, and has to eat all of it, including the bones, which he ''chokes to death on''. Then, Swartt has the other one executed for "murdering" the former.
* Korvus Skurr's underground empire.
* Mariel's flashback sequence is scary but not particularly nightmare-inducing until the reader (possibly specifically the female reader) hits about age twelve and the FridgeHorror [[RapeAsDrama implications]] kick in. May or may not actually have been meant that way, but it hits the right button and ''aargh.''
* Scorecat Yund's death in ''High Rhulain''.
* [[spoiler: Wullow]]'s death in ''The Rogue Crew''.
** Buppler and Braggio's deaths too. The latter is decapitated, and his head is planted on the ''Greenshround'''s foremast. The former had his spine crushed by the ship's wheel, and Razzid leaves him lying on the ground to die ''while he's screaming for help''.
* Zwilt the Shade, the Marlfoxes and Malkariss. When they first appear they are mysterious to the point of being creepy as hell. You at first know nothing about them, they are feared by basically everyone for being "Magic", "Invicible", and "Deadly". [[spoiler:All were revealed to be frauds, but the reader doesn't know that until later on.]] A good example of this are the Flitchaye. In most of their appearances it was never revealed what they actually were aside from cannibalistic monsters.