[[caption-width-right:350:[[SchmuckBait Marion, don't look at it. Shut your eyes, Marion. Don't look at it, no matter what happens!]]]]
* Indiana Jones' treacherous companion having several tarantula's on his back, which Jones casually pushes off his body.
* Jones' treacherous assistant pierced upon the booby trap Indy and he managed to escape from earlier. His horrified NightmareFace makes it even more unnerving.
* Major Toht threatening to burn Marion with a poker in The Raven bar. Heck, everything with Toht is terrifying due to the Gestapo RealitySubtext that surrounds him.
-->'''Toht''': Fraulein Ravenwood, let me show you what I am used to...
* The Well of Souls is this trope both for the audience and [[WhyDidItHaveToBeSnakes Indy]]. ''Unbelievable'' amounts of snakes. And mummies. [[BreadEggsBreadedEggs And snakes slithering out of the mummies.]] '''GAH.'''
* While the Ark is being transported, it makes a eerie humm before it burns the swastika on the box it's being held in. Considering what it does in the finale, [[FridgeHorror what else can the Ark do with its lid on?]]
* The (in)famous "opening of the Ark" sequence from the finale is incredibly jarring for a viewer who has thus far enjoyed an action/adventure movie with a relatively light tone. The shot of a head imploding on itself, followed by a melting face (pictured) - quickly followed by an ''exploding head'' - would have been enough to give plenty of theatre-goers nightmares.
* Earlier in the film, a GiantMook is chopped up by the propeller of an airplane and while it happens off-screen, the copious amounts of blood on-screen are jarring, considering the Ark scene aside, the film is rather light on blood.
** It's never made clear, but in the long shot of the plane shortly before it explodes, a large smear across the sand with some chunky bits is seen near the plane....