Don't let the cute and quirky character designs and whimsical settings fool you; all of the games have several examples.
* In ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheCuriousVillage'', there was the scene where Simon [[spoiler: was lying dead on the floor, believed to be murdered. Pretty unexpected.]] Sure, he was [[spoiler: just a robot]], but still...
* In ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheDiabolicalBox'', a fairly lighthearted game about solving puzzles, we get [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTc8Z-TelI this]]. Just watch it until the end. It starts out as a dance scene, and then it turns into some sort of vampire movie scene. It turns out that this was [[spoiler: just a nightmare caused by hallucinogenic gas, and that Anton wasn't really going to eat them]], but still, it was pretty unexpected for an E10+ game, especially during such as light scene as that one.
* The unforgettable climax of ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheUnwoundFuture'' with Clive's mobile fortress rising from the ground, who then starts his plan by ''destroying hundreds of houses and killing hundreds of people, ALL SHOWN ON-SCREEN.''
* And in ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheLastSpecter'', we have, well, the Specter.
** And the Black Raven. True, when you find out who he ''is'', he stops being so terrifying and becomes almost endearing, but at first...
* Then in ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheMiracleMask'', we get The Masked Gentlemen's stories near the end of the game. To elaborate, The Masked Gentleman giving out clues to his wear abouts, the first story is a pleasant, if slightly somber tale about connections to your past. But then the second story talks about how greed takes over someone's life, causing everyone to leave, ending with the tale stating that he was a lonely king in a lonely kingdom. THE END. If that wasn't enough however, it gets more horrifying in the third tale. This one depicts a princess falling in love with a knight, who are then married. The knight leaves to fight a dragon and never returns. Stricken with grief the princess then turns to the chancellor and the two get married. It is then explained that said chancellor caused the cave the knight went into to collapse. He now has the princess and the kingdom and ends with, ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!
* There's quite a lot in ''VideoGame/ProfessorLaytonAndTheAzranLegacy''. For starters, in Hoogland, they're doing [[spoiler: A HUMAN SACRIFICE RITUAL TO THE 'DRAGONLORD'!]] And also, Aurora remembers something so terrible that [[spoiler: she almost commited suicide.]] And let's not forget that [[spoiler: Bronev pierced Aurora's heart with ice. Even if she was a golem, Bronev didn't know that. If Aurora was a human, she probably would have died.]]