[[caption-width-right:300:[[LandMineGoesClick Landmine has]] [[EyeScream taken my sight]], [[AndIMustScream taken my speech]], [[ICantHearYou taken my hearing]], [[AnArmAndALeg taken my arms, taken my legs]], [[DreamCrushingHandicap taken my soul]], [[DespairEventHorizon left me with life in hell.....]]]]
* "The Memory Remains". You're lying if you say that the old woman (Marianne Faithfull, a famous English singer and actor) singing and playing the barrel organ isn't going to keep you up at night. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnJcB2NvOYU Something like this]].
* "Unforgiven II" features disturbingly nightmarish imagery. Set in a monochrome void world where a young boy grows to adulthood with his arm permanently sealed within a massive concrete wall which collapses around him as the song progresses but leaves him trapped. Highlights including the wall transforming into a giant book that sucks the young man in and snaps shut, the young man trying to get away from the wall by stretching his arm out into a long tentacle that reels him back in again, and raging fires, fountains of water and a whirling tornado emerging from the top of the shattered wall, ending with the wall transforming into a topless woman who still has the man's arm thrusting through her body. James Hetfield in particular looks absolutely ''demonic'' with his face lit from below by flickering light. [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Bn_kD6QN4 Once you see it, you'll never forget it.]]
* "Fight Fire With Fire" can also be pretty terrifying. It's a song about a nuclear holocaust. The sound of a bomb going off at the end doesn't help.
** "Blackened" is pretty much the same thing.
* Try listening to "One" and not imagining yourself [[AndIMustScream in that situation]]. Watching the video is even worse. In [[Literature/JohnnyGotHisGun the book it's based on]], the soldier doesn't want to die, but, in a CMOA and CMOH, to go on a speaking (well, signalling) tour to show the inhumanity of war.
* "The Thing That Should Not Be," with the unsettling chorus guitar and Kirk's lead giving the impression of a wailing beast, also fits in this category.
* "Enter Sandman" is a song quite explicitly about nightmares. It takes the lighthearted folktale of the Sandman, and twists it into something ''terrifying''.
* "Until It Sleeps" sounds like it is about someone suffering from PTSD or some other traumatic event, or someone who has seen an EldritchAbomination.
** [[SarcasmMode "Better" yet]], it's actually about [[TheTopicOfCancer having cancer.]]
* "Blackened". Everything about it, from the relentless nature of the music to its terrifying lyrics about a natural disaster and the destruction of planet earth. The intro scores some points for creepiness too; as if the fact that it sounds mournful and even funerary in nature, it gets even worse when you realize ''it's a backwards recording''. The [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqTPDMHeoE&feature=youtu.be un-reversed version]] is just as chilling.
* The cover to "Hardwired...To Self Destruct" is complete [[FacialHorror facial horror]] and more. [[http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2016/08/metallica-hardwired-self-destruct-full.jpg?w=630&h=630&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89 Here, have a look!]]