Luigi, [[LovableCoward being Luigi]], usually hasn't run into his fair share of frights over the years, but when he's put on the [[NightmareFuel front lines of fear]] in this game in order to save [[SuperMarioBros his bro]], this becomes [[CowardlyLion the exception]].
Nightmare fuel will wield greater results if you listen to [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcGt_SzjAs this theme]] on a loop while viewing the page.
* Chauncey's expression when he starts crying.
* The talking paintings in the first room after the foyer. They shake before they talk, which gives a creepy shaking door sound, they threaten Luigi, and then one says "Here they come!" And the MUSIC... Thankfully, this is AFTER you get the Poltergust, but still...
** Oh yes, THE PAINTINGS. That part still scares me to this day...
* The giant Bowser mecha King Boo uses to attack Luigi. And then its head blows off when you fire a mine at it...
* The Boolossus rapidly approaching your TV screen.
* Bogmire giving you a jumpscare.
* "Don't imagine that I'll flee... I'll fight you like a true Boo! Now join your brother... inside the painting!"
* Some of the portrait ghosts are not just scary because of what they look like, but how they even became ghosts in the first place. For example, there's those two twin children who love to play hide and seek. It is stated that because they both like to hide, the game usually lasts a long time. [[FridgeHorror Three guesses as to how they could have died]].
* Reading Sue Pea's description states "What was supposed to be a short nap turned into eternal sleep for the young Sue Pea." This also gets a lot worse when you realize the AdultFear of something happening to a child after they fall asleep.
* Madame Clairvoya. Some would say that there's nothing really scary about her, but... Well, one would think that the idea of being trapped in a painting forever would be a case of AndIMustScream, but she actually ''asks'' to be put there. She ''likes'' that?
* The scariest part probably was when lightning struck the mansion and cut the power off. So every ''single'' previously safe haven was now a miniature hell hole of never ending ghosts and could only be stopped by finding a special ghost looking at himself in a mirror and you're never told which room is he in. A little over half of the rooms of the mansion have mirrors!
* The game itself is one thing, but the [[http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Luigis14.jpg game over screen from the beta version]] is quite another, due to Luigi looking literally scared to death.
** The other ending pic. It's a bit less creepy, but Luigi looks just as terrified: [[http://www.mariowiki.com/images/8/86/LM-Endingbad.png see here]].
* Trying to capture Luggs, the huge ghost in the dining room, was terrifying. The fact that this enormous ghost is spitting fireballs, then calmly going back to his meal once the candles are relit, is just disturbing.
* There is a lighting oddity [[spoiler:in which Luigi's shadow appears as if he were dangling from a rafter by a noose.]] It's mostly the fact that it's an almost unnoticeable effect that appears for only a split second that makes it scary.
** Even scarier? It's incredibly unlikely this was unintentional.
* Bogmire. Seriously, the guy didn't even have any features that defined if he was alive or not, he looks more like a monster than a ghost, and the shadows...
** How is he described? "Bogmire is a product of the mansion's fear and despair." THAT MEANS HE IS THE PERSONIFICATION OF THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' MANSION.
* The [[spoiler:painting of the helpless Mario]]? Seeing him banging his fists while King Boo was laughing in the background was terrifying.
** How Luigi was [[spoiler:sucked into Mario's painting]] for the final boss fight, as it [[spoiler:transformed into Bowser?]]
* [[spoiler:Bowser's head going off his body when Luigi throws a bomb at him. Both scary AND unexpected in a Mario game.]]
* Any scene with the Boos. King Boo gets special recognition, though.
* What about the music? It may be [[EarWorm extremely catchy]], but it's the icing of ''Luigi's Mansion''.
** It gets worse when Luigi whistles the game music and the ghosts in the area whistle a dark version of the tune.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmUoUrGrBY Boolossus' theme.]] *shudder*
* The first encounter with a ghost. You walk into a dark mansion on a stormy night, greeted by a pitch black room with only a few candles. You turn on your flashlight and walk up the stairs, and try the double doors. you find that they're locked and then suddenly ''a demented giggle'' comes from downstairs. You head down, and an orange floating orb holding a key appears and floats back and forth while ''bells sound in the background''. Then it notices you, makes a little squeaky gasp noise, dropping the key, and floats up the stair and into the double doors, mysteriously putting out every candle just by the ghost being close to it, and then explodes into little orange clouds on contact with the door. A little finisher to the scene is a zoom in on the key on the ground, with a little jingle.
* Dying in ''Luigi's Mansion'' is pretty creepy as well. Luigi falls to the floor while the screen goes black and white, and then the words "Good Night..." appear on bloody red letters. Which slowly go black and white themselves.
* What about the room with taxidermy animal heads? At first they're fine, like any you've seen in your life, but nothing immediately happens in the room, so you vacuum everything. When when you get to those heads, '''they start nodding! Just... nodding!''' It doesn't sound so bad, but it looks disturbing.
** This scene has reminded more than one fan of EVIL DEAD of all things.
** They're [[UncannyValley more realistic than the rest of the game]].
*** There was going to be a ghost there, but he was removed. He allegedly threatened to ADD LUIGI TO HIS COLLECTION OF HEADS.
* After you capture the ghost Lydia, a cutscene happens where the camera zooms in on a door whilst a baby's crying can be heard along with a creepy music box tune...*shivers*.
** The baby is crying since you technically KILLED his mother and father, and and plan on murdering him.
*** His NightmareFace during his fight is freaky.
* The Observatory Room. Maybe it's the fact that it seems like you're actually ''in'' space, the fact that there is ''actually'' a fake moon in there, and that the outside music actually ''plays'' in the room, pretty much confirming that you're in an alternate space of sorts.
* The pause menu too; it has a door with Luigi's shadow hanging on it, creepily.
* The game select screen in the EU version. In the upper left corner, there's a text saying "Come in, the mansion is yours". Wait, and the text changes. "Come in, the mansion is ours".
** The US version instead has "Welcome to your mansion" which fades to "Welcome to our mansion"
* The Nintendo logo screen. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnFpv-YwvZE No, really.]]
* [[EvilLaugh King Boo's Laugh]], 'nuff said.
* If Luigi sprays ghosts with one of his elemental attacks without vacuuming them up, they fade away to nothing. Slowly. And their animations look like they're ''flailing around in pain'' while it happens. Sometimes they'll even ''whimper in fear'' just before they vanish. [[CessationOfExistence Just what is]] [[RetGone happening to them?]]