* Creator/StephenKing, of all people, wrote about the 1978 version that he found some of the effects so disgusting he was surprised it was released in theaters without an R-rating.
* The 1978 version's ending [[spoiler: ([[AndThenJohnWasAZombie pictured right]])]]. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
* Whenever a duplicate is "born" from the same version.
* The concept, the film-specific execution, and the ''[[spoiler:[[MixAndMatchCritters fucking dog with its owner's head]]]]''
* In the original film, Miles kissing his girlfriend, [[spoiler: and she's one of THEM.]]
* There's a particularly chilling event in the background towards the end of the 1978 remake - we see a group of (unconverted) children on a field trip being taken into a building. You can hear one of them complaining about how they don't want nap time already.
* Late in the 1978 version, where [[spoiler:the original version of Elizabeth disintegrates in Matthew's arms, and the duplicate version appears nearby]]. The 1993 version has similar effects for most of the main victims, and while they don't quite have the creep-out factor of the preceding version, they're still pretty discomforting to watch.
* Need we mention the trailer and its final line?