[[caption-width-right:350:Don't disturb the [[ScaryLibrarian librarian]].]]
Despite being a comedy at its heart, there are still plenty of genuinely scary moments in the movies.
Other NightmareFuel pages of the franchise:
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjFKsJjCP0 library scene]] isn't exactly the scariest scene in the movie, but it can really catch you off guard if you haven't seen it before.
* The scene right before Venkman goes to Dana's apartment when the scary building is shown, the ominous music makes the scene even more creepy. The "Spook Central" building is scarier in broad daylight!
* The following involving the demon dogs Zuul and Vinz Clortho. First, we get Dana being grabbed by Zuul [[note]] three demonic arms emerge from her chair proceeding to hold her down as the door opens to Zuul, the chair zooms towards the door and shuts when she is in the same room as the demon dog [[/note]], which leads to her possession; then we get Louis chased out of his own party by Clortho, who is cornered by the monster. Then, we see Dana as she's under Zuul's influence. It's rather sexy at first, but then Zuul takes over and she speaks in a demonic voice, starts hovering above the bed and makes beastly growling noises. Meanwhile, Clortho, while possessing Louis, searches for Zuul, and when a cabbie makes a remark, Clortho flashes an intense, intimidating red-eyed glare.
* Ray and Winston's talk about the apocalypse.
-->'''Winston:''' Do you remember something in the Bible about the last days, when the dead would rise from the grave?
-->'''Ray:''' I remember Revelations 7:12 [[labelnote:note]]it's actually 6:12[[/labelnote]]. "And I looked as he opened the 6th seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sack cloth, and the moon became as blood."
-->'''Winston:''' "And the seas boiled and the skies fell."
-->'''Ray:''' Judgment Day.
-->'''Winston:''' Judgment Day.
-->'''Ray:''' Every religion has its myth about the end of the world.
-->'''Winston:''' Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead ''have'' been rising from the grave?
** "How about a little music?" Ray, despite being Atheist or Agnostic, is disturbed by that enough to want to change the subject immediately.
* The zombie cabdriver.
** The entire "Shut Down the Grid" scene is pretty creepy, especially the shot of the Manhattan skyline flooding with tendrils of paranormal energy. With the build-up it gets, we know nothing good can come from that pretty pink light show. Mick Smiley's foreboding ''Magic'' playing on the soundtrack doesn't help.
* Egon's descriptions of Ivo Shandor, the architect of Dana's apartment building, who designed it to have secret passages leading to the roof, which served as an alter for his ominous Gozer cult. Egon also mentions that Shandor was a doctor who performed a lot of "unnecessary surgery."
** The way Egon ''smirks'' while describing Shandor's "unnecessary surgeries." Egon isn't especially good at reassuring smiles in the first place, but in this situation it just looks like he's enjoying Shandor's shenanigans entirely too much.
* Zuul and Vinz Clortho transform from Dana Barrett and Louis Tully's human bodies into their own demonic dog forms when summoning Gozer.
* The Marshmallow Man's UncannyValley ramped up when it's angry. And the OhCrap face when it sees the Ghostbusters crossing their streams.