[[caption-width-right:350:Don't disturb the librarian.]]
* The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjFKsJjCP0 library scene]] isn't exactly the scariest scene in a movie, but it can really catch you off guard if you haven't seen it before.
* The following involving the demon dogs Zuul and Vinz Clortho. First, we get Dana being grabbed by Zuul [[note]] three demonic arms emerge from her chair proceeding to hold her down as the door opens to Zuul, the chair zooms towards the door and shuts when she is in the same room as the demon dog [[/note]], which leads to her possession; then we get Louis chased out of his own party by Clortho, who is cornered by the monster. Then, we see Dana as she's under Zuul's influence. It's rather sexy at first, but then Zuul takes over and she starts hovering above the bed and makes beastly noises. Meanwhile, Clortho, while possessing Louis, searches for Zuul, and when a cabbie makes a remark, Clortho flashes an intense, intimidating glare.
* Ray and Winston's talk about the apocalypse.
-->'''Winston:''' Do you remember something in the Bible about the last days, when the dead would rise from the grave?
-->'''Ray:''' I remember Revelations 7:12 [[labelnote:note]]it's actually 6:12[[/labelnote]]. "And I looked as he opened the 6th seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sack cloth, and the moon became as blood."
-->'''Winston:''' "And the seas boiled and the skies fell."
-->'''Ray:''' Judgment Day.
-->'''Winston:''' Judgment Day.
-->'''Ray:''' Every religion has its myth about the end of the world.
-->'''Winston:''' Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead ''have'' been rising from the grave?
** "How about some music?" Ray, despite being Atheist or Agnostic, is disturbed by that enough to want to change the subject immediately.
* Egon's descriptions of Ivo Shandor, the architect of Dana's apartment building, who designed it to have secret passages leading to the roof, which served as an alter for his ominous Gozer cult. Egon also mentions that Shandor was a doctor who performed a lot of "unnecessary surgery."
** The way Egon ''smirks'' while describing Shandor's "unnecessary surgeries." Egon isn't especially good at reassuring smiles in the first place, but in this situation it just looks like he's enjoying Shandor's shenanigans entirely too much.
* The scene right before Venkman goes to Dana's apartment when the scary building is shown, the ominous music makes the scene even more creepy. The "Spook Central" building is scarier in broad daylight!
* The darkroom scene. A claustrophobic room lit with red light (naturally), the doors silently sealed shut without their knowledge, peering intensely at photographs of a possessed painting, which ''suddenly all catch on fire at once''. Not for the pyrophobic and/or claustrophobic.
** Made worse once you realize that Ghostbusters 2 is much more of a kid's film than the first movie (no one smokes except for Ray and even then he's only seen chewing on the end of an unlit pipe or cigar or holding one (he never has a cigarette), less swearing, ''far'' less sexual themes) and they still felt the need to include a scene where two of our main characters nearly die by being ''burned alive''. The utter terror in Ray and Egon's voices as they start to panic and scream for Winston while banging on the door before resolving to run into the bathroom (though Ray questions what good that'll do)... WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids
* The "everything goes to hell" scene from the second film, featuring an array of ghouls a lot more intimidating than anything else seen in the series - including a spider-like ''thing'' with four arms and fangs that chases a bunch of people out of a store, the stoats of a fur coat coming back to life as a snarling four headed rabid creature that scurries down the sidewalk, the ''Titanic'' finally "arriving" to New York (made a bit funnier thanks to [[Creator/CheechAndChong Cheech Marin's]] [[TheCameo cameo appearance]] saying better late than never) and culminating in an enormous monster reaching over the Washington Square Arch and looming over a crowd of screaming people.
* Janosz Poha may be a FunnyForeigner, but he has his scary moments after becoming [[TheRenfield Vigo's puppet]]. The extremely spooky ByTheLightsOfTheirEyes scene of Janosz alone in the darkened apartment corridor after visiting Dana. His eyes don't just glow, they shine like high beams. And also, the scene where he kidnaps Oscar, he is dressed as a ghostly demonic nanny whose [[RedEyesTakeWarning eyes glow red]] and he is able to extend his arm to take him away.
* The pink slime in the second movie is both this and NauseaFuel at the same time. The way it drips and moves can cause some sense of revulsion, and the fact that it's the physical incarnation of human negativity can make it create all kinds of horror, like rising all sort of spectral creatures and bringing life to all sort of unanimated objects such as fur coats, bathtubs or dinosaur skeletons. Not to mention the fact that Ray, Egon and Winston almost drowned in it. And when they got out of it, they were, as Winston puts it, ready to kill each other for ''absolutely no reason''. The slime doesn't just conjure spirits, it makes people BrainwashedAndCrazy. What would happen if some of that gunk crept up to the surface?
* [[NothingIsScarier The exploration of the dark pneumatic railroad]]. Ray and Egon are doing echo voices, but don't get any response. Then Winston says "Hello", only to have a demonic voice saying '''''[[HellIsThatNoise "WIIIIIIIINNNSTOOOOOOONNN!!"]]'''''. After that, a bunch of decapitated heads on spikes. It comes right the fuck out of nowhere and stops almost as quickly as it began.
* The Painting of Vigo with his ominous KubrickStare with special attention towards Dana. On one instance, he made a quick weird gesture towards her in a blink and you will miss scene.
* Every scene where Vigo and the pink slime attempt to disturb Dana and her baby son Oscar. It's the Zuul stalk all over again with lots and lots of AdultFear. The first scene of the film, Oscar's trolley moves itself towards the road, but thankfully it is stopped in time. Then, Dana tries to bath Oscar and the bathtub comes alive because of the pink slime and is trying to attack them. Or when baby Oscar is shown standing on the ledge of Dana's apartment building, looking down at a couple hundred foot drop, is frightening to anyone, not just mothers. Just goes to show how much Dana loves him, she willingly climbs out onto the ledge to save him. After that same scene, Janosz appears in his demonic nanny dress mentioned above.
* The reason Vigo is interested in Dana and Oscar: he wants to come back to life through the newborn Oscar and restart his reign of terror, with Dana as his mother.
* Vigo possessing Ray at the finale. Ray turns around with Vigo's demonic head placed on his body, mocking the other Ghostbusters.
* Has its own [[NightmareFuel/Ghostbusters2016 page.]]
* Despite being a comedy at its heart, there are still plenty of genuinely scary moments in the movies. The new game has its moments as well. In the movies, bonus points go to the phantom librarian, the zombie cabdriver, the Marshmallow Man's UncannyValley ramped up when it's angry, the Scoleri brothers, the heads on spikes in the SinisterSubway, the museum boss dressed as a phantom nanny who [[IncrediblyLamePun spirits]] Oscar away, [[spoiler: Vigo's eyes shifting at the beginning of No. 2]]...