* In both games, you learn new abilities by [[CannibalismSuperpower eating your enemies]] for atma points. The second game reveals [[spoiler: the real world is in ruins, stuck under a sun that always shines black, and the ''sunlight turns anyone not infected with the demon virus to stone!'']]
* The consequences of the Demon Virus. [[HorrorHunger Endless hunger]]. [[AxCrazy Mindless rage]]. [[FakeMemories Losing]] [[LossOfIdentity yourself]]. ''[[DemonicPossession And that's if you're lucky]]''. When you gain extra atma points if you use Hunt skills to finish your enemies. Rather than killing them and ''then'' devouring them, ''[[EatenAlive you eat them alive]]''. Once infected, you can never stop eating, or you risk the demon inside just going berserk, overruling whatever higher brain functions you may still have in working order beyond the maddening hunger, and wantonly attacking anything. In rare cases, the demon virus will go so far with you, it will literally overwrite ''everything'' in there. [[AndThenJohnWasAZombie And then, there's nothing left in there, but a demon]]. Problem is, if the virus has gone this far, it's likely it's a strong demon with ideas and intelligence of its own, and it's gonna go find food and shelter - AKA your friends, family and home...
* Anahata's Citadel area has a few sections where you must face a variety of busts with GlowingEyesOfDoom. Blue-eyed statues are safe, but the red-eyed statues will drop you into a basement if you stand in front of them, and yellow-eyed ones will change to blue- or red-eyed once as you approach them. There's one room where [[JumpScare there's a red-eyed statue in front of you and nothing else!]] The basement itself is also pretty creepy - nothing is down there except corpses and a few preset demons, as well as the random encounters. Every now and then, the poison gas in there will disorient you. It gets even worse at the end of a New Game Plus as [[spoiler:it's where the Demi-fiend hides out]].
* Coordinate 136 is an [[AmusementParkOfDoom abandoned amusement park castle]]. To start, the music that plays in it is creepy as all hell, and gradually changes as you go up the floors. One section has you trying to spot a portrait that's different from the others; running past the other portraits will instead [[JumpScare drop you into a basement]]. One later floor has you solving a light puzzle in near-pitch darkness. As you progress, you're told the tale of a "good prince" and an "evil prince" trying to win over the heart of a princess, and later excerpts of the story [[spoiler:are drowned out in conveneint static, and [[NothingIsScarier start mentioning things like a "truly good prince" and a "truly evil prince" without explicitly describing what's going on]], implying that there's more to the story than what you're coherently told. When the truth comes out in the second game, it's every bit as horrifying as expected.]]
* ''Everything'' about the Meat Factories in the second game. To wit, Madame Cuvier's "plan" for the salvation of Humanity goes like this: "[[WithUsOrAgainstUs Anyone who wants to follow me]], we'll transform into [[CannibalismSuperpower Tun]][[HorrorHunger ers]]. Anyone who disagrees with me, ''[[ImAHumanitarian we'll transform into dinner]]''."
* Jenna Angel on the other hand, just wants to turn ''everyone'' into Tuners, and plunge the world into a slaughterfest.
* [[spoiler: The real [[GreaterScopeVillain Serph Sheffield.]]]]
* Meganada. Where do we begin? The fact that it had to be frozen to be kept under control; the fact that it has extendable [[BuffySpeak bitey-boobs]] that [[spoiler: try to bite Argilla's arm off and nom on the already severely-injured Roland]]; the fact that [[spoiler: you have to face in on The Sun, and it's a ThatOneBoss]]; or the fact it mindlessly says "INDRA" over and over.
* Serph's [[spoiler: DisneyDeath]] in 2 is essentially the prelude to EVERYTHING going south for the heroes, in particular the moment Sera ''screams'' in horrified despair. Remember: she's still hooked up to God, and the Big Guy Upstairs feels everything she does. Also remember that he's committed at this point to killing humanity with [[TakenForGranite Cuvier Syndrome.]] He hated humanity before: now, he ''DESPISES'' us. Tearing control of the HAARP away from Cuvier while the thing isn't even connected to Him, He begins more or less disintegrating the entire planet. No thunder crashes or booming voices are necessary: it is clear beyond a shadow of a doubt how FURIOUS He is.
* Beelzebub's fate is this for everyone involved. Whichever sap unlucky enough to be [[DemonicPossession his host]] was transformed before [[MrExposition Angel told the leaders about Atma]], so suddenly the Vanguards had to deal with one of their own turning into a monster and eating their comrades without [[NothingIsScarier a lick of explanation]], on top of their own newfound demonic transformations. Beelzebub is sealed by accident by a red wall, ''with his guards trapped inside with him''. When Serph can finally break the wall, the player finds out exactly how Beelzebub was imprisoned: trapped inside a completely dark room, with his jailers hoping that [[ApocalypseMaiden he'll]] [[AndIMustScream die of starvation sooner or later]]. His jailers are still terrified of him, especially because they have [[ParanoiaFuel no way of knowing]] if he's dead or if he escaped.
* [[EldritchAbomination Vritra]] is bad enough on its own, but it's worse when you know that it's [[spoiler:a corrupted and transformed Heat.]] He's a gigantic, be-tentacled monstrosity with too many heads and mouths that seems to grow from the floor, and those tentacles look an awful lot like [[spoiler:Agni's two heads.]]
** The EGG facility on the second visit in the second game is like a horror game. The few people standing around are terrified, and one of them mentions someone crying inside. When you go in, you find that your map doesn't carry over from the last time you were there, and the electricity's been cut. It seems like just a gimmick, until you go down enough levels, and find that everything's been turned into an EldritchLocation. MeatMoss lines the walls, and some of it is still-living people. The enemies in the facility aren't Tuners or soldiers; they're scientists with corrupted data. Some of them are Legions, implying that they fused together. There are entire chunks of floor missing, and inexplicable portals of darkness that jump around the facility. One of the scientists currently fused with the wall says that he heard someone crying, and ran to help, but ended up like that. And when you get to the room where someone is weeping bitterly... you get Vritra, or [[spoiler:a corrupted and mutated Heat]].