* Basically every time Light goes into crazy Kira mode, with the maniacal laugh and the red eyes.
* [[spoiler: L's death]]. [[spoiler:The poor guy]] suddenly collapses from a heart attack [[spoiler: by Rem's doing]] and the last thing [[spoiler: he sees before he dies is Light staring at him while giving him a huge SlasherSmile]].
* [[spoiler: [[NauseaFuel Light's death.]]]] In the manga, it's even worse. [[spoiler: you see his dead face on a two-page panel, with a horrifying expression, which is worst up-side-down.]]
--> [[spoiler: '''Light:''' [[VillainousBreakdown NO! STOP IT! I'M GOING TO DIE!]] I DON'T WANT TO DIE! I DON'T WANT TO DIE! I DON'T WANT TO GO...]]
* Light and Misa in and of themselves... they're '''''[[CuteAndPsycho adorable]]'''''... (in some of the early manga artwork Light kind of looks like a Disney character) and well, you know...
* Mikami was just as scary in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv4E9175EOY&feature=related this scene, where he goes into a delete-spree.]]
* [[spoiler: Light]] and [[spoiler: Mikami's]] facial expressions in the last two episodes. They look absolutely [[NightmareFace demented]].
** The Italian dub's take on [[spoiler:Kira's laughter]]. Why? At first, it sounds like ''sobbing''. This makes its LaughingMad spree more unexpected and unhinged.
* The moment Light moves from saying "I'm going to create a perfect world" to "I've gotten rid of everything in ''my'' way." This shows he's JumpedOffTheSlipperySlope into true evil and has [[MoralEventHorizon absolutely no chance of redemption from here on out]].
* [[spoiler:Naomi's death]], particularly if you hold to the theory that people under the control of the Death Note are still capable of thinking independently, effectively rendering them [[AndIMustScream prisoner to their own bodies]].
* Some scenes from the second Rewrite (''L's succesors''):
** There's an [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6rNv9vlBV8 altered version]] of the scene where [[spoiler:several SPK members get killed, except this time by Mikami instead of Mello]]. Here they put some really [[UncannyValley Uncanny-Valley-ish]] expressions. And one [[spoiler:attempts to kill Near with his gun]]. The final shot shows [[spoiler: Near staring silently to the screen, ''covered by the blood of the corpse that's right next to him'']].
* The scene where [[spoiler:Mikami]] is introduced. He intervenes in a debate on TV about Kira [[spoiler:by slaughtering the audience in various gruesome ways (watch from 1:09)]]. ''One of them gets his neck twisted in 180° degrees''. By the way, their faces get even ''more'' [[UncannyValley Uncanny-Valley-ish]].
* Light Yagami. Or, rather more accurately, what Light Yagami ''becomes''. He starts out as an innocent idealist (as seen in the Yotsuba Arc) and slowly becomes more and more ruthless, horrifying and generally evil, until he's reached the point where he's only barely recognisable as the same person he was.
* Teru Mikami -- or, how an otherwise decent person can go completely off the deep end. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13g_mCfeI0&feature=related The part where he spins around in his chair and laughs is the worst]]. Good choice, Light.
* [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZSAgDbojyg Misa Amane]] and [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0XjdPPqP8w Kiyomi Takada]] -- women completely devoted to a manipulative sociopath and willing to kill for him.
* Light's voice whenever he details one of his plans. Also, the way he looks down at the dying Raye and says "Goodbye, Raye Penbar." in that mocking tone. (Ditto for when he says basically the same thing for Naomi Misora.)
* The Yagami family. Sayu has a brother who's perfectly willing to kill her if he thinks she's getting too close to uncovering the truth. Light even suggests, early in the series, that he's willing to write down his junior-high-school aged sister's name in the notebook if she so much as ''sees'' it.
* Misa Amane wears an ElegantGothicLolita style dress in one instance, [[spoiler:for when she was committing suicide after she thought Light died.]] Overall, the dress combined with her depressed facial expression and her dark make-up makes her look like a life-sized porcelain doll, to an eerie effect. That scene mirrors an earlier scene where Misa, dressed the same and traveling through the same setting, sings a capella about her devotion and trust to Kira. Though the lyrics are optimistic, her tone, and doll-like dress, makes the scene still quite creepy.
* In the very first episode, Light locks himself into his darkened bedroom, pulls out his Death Note, opens it up to reveal all the pages and pages of names of the people he's killed, ''smiles'' down at it, and then breaks out into creepy, creepy laughter.
* Misa in custody. Imagine the mental state of the poor girl. [[spoiler: She's taken off the street, continuously blindfolded and restrained for two ''months'', under constant surveillance, and she has no idea why she's there or if she'll ever be untied.]]
* Beyond Birthday; there's a reason he's on the quote page for CruelAndUnusualDeath. From the first paragraph of ''LightNovel/AnotherNote'':
-->''When Beyond Birthday committed his third murder, he attempted an experiment. Namely, to see if it were possible for a human being to die of internal hemorrhaging without rupturing any organs. Specifically, he drugged his victim so they fell unconscious, tied them up, and proceeded to beat their left arm thoroughly, being careful not to break the skin. He was hoping to bring about enough hemorrhaging to cause death from loss of blood, but this attempt ended, sadly, in failure. Blood congested in the arm and it turned purplish red beneath the skin, but the victim did not die. He simply shook, convulsed, and remained alive. He had been convinced the blood loss incurred was enough to kill someone, but apparently he had underestimated the matter. As far as Beyond Birthday was concerned, the actual method of murder rated fairly low on the amusement scale, and it was never more than an interesting experiment. It did not particularly matter to him whether it succeeded or not. Beyond Birthday simply shrugged, and took out a knife...''
* From the Pilot chapter, Taro's nightmare. The people he accidentally killed return as reanimated corpses to accuse him and grab at him with their skeletal hands.
* Ryuk can be this. Especially during the earlier chapters, when he's there to provide [[ExpositionFairy Exposition]] on the nature of Death Notes and Shinigami. Those eyes...
** This is specifically played for all it's worth during [[spoiler:Light's death]]. He's usually drawn with normal eyes, which while still monstrous in appearance, giving some humanity to his appearance (especially when he's flustered or confused). But as he [[spoiler:kills Light]] his eyes are [[BlankWhiteEyes completely white]] with zero traces of any humanity or mercy. No cornea, no pupils, nothing but sclera. [[WordOfGod Word of God]] says this was done on purpose to remind the audience, for all his quirkiness and simplistic, child-like desire to simply be entertained like a child with toys, [[NotSoHarmlessVillain he is still a Shinigami, a god of death, who cannot be harmed and can kill anybody he desires.]]
** Not to mention his [[EvilLaugh ghoulish cackle]].
* The [[ArtifactofDoom Death Note]] itself. That notebook could have ended up in the hands of anyone, anywhere.
** At the end of the relight, the unknown Shinigami heads off to the human world to repeat the cycle, meaning that everything that just happened, will happen again.
* Higuchi's absolutely horrifying [[SlasherSmile Slasher Smile]].
* The revelation of the Death Note's last rule: "All humans, without exception, will eventually die," and, "When they die, the place they go is [[WhenIsPurple Mu (Nothingness).]]" Especially in the anime, where [[spoiler: Light is moments away from his horrific demise]] and the scene simply cuts to the rules, with no music but one rather ominous church bell funeral toll. The overall effect is damn chilling.
* L may have looked a bit creepy with his big, baggy eyes... but Mello [[KubrickStare took]] [[SlasherSmile this]] UptoEleven.