->''"... We were lucky."''
''We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank'' is a ConceptAlbum from the American [[AlternativeRock indie rock]] band Music/ModestMouse. The album was released in 2007 after a 3-year hiatus after their previous album, ''Good News For People Who Love Bad News'', was released in 2004.
The album contains an over-arching nautical theme. Most notable in the songs ''"March into the Sea,"'' ''"Missed the Boat,"'' and ''"Little Motel."''
The album is also notable as the first album where guitarist Johnny Marr (of TheSmiths) joined as a member of the band. The band also teamed up with James Mercer of The Shins, who provided backup vocals for several songs, most notable "Missed the Boat."
The tracklist for the album is as follows:
->1. March into the Sea
->3. Fire It Up
->5. Parting of the Sensory
->6. Missed the Boat
->7. We've Got Everything
->8. Fly Trapped in a Jar
->10. Little Motel
->11. Steam Engenius
->12. Spitting Venom
->13. People as Places as People
!!This ConceptAlbum provides examples of the following:
* AndIMustScream: "Steam Engenius"
* AntiAdvice: In "Parting of the Sensory":
-->Who the hell made you the boss? \\
If you say what to do, I know what not to stop
* EpicRocking: "Spitting Venom" and "Missed the Boat"
* FourMoreMeasures: "Missed the Boat"
* IndecipherableLyrics: A little bit
* LastSecondWordSwap: Inverted? It's played with a little here by taking an innocent line, and adding to it to make it double as a curse.
--> We didn't need the water
--> But we still built that good Goddamn!
* LoopedLyrics: "Dashboard"
* MohsScaleOfRockAndMetalHardness: Mostly a 4 or 5. Though "March Into The Sea" is a pretty solid 6, while "Little Motel" is about a 2.
* MotorMouth: Some parts of the album, but most notably in "Steam Engenius"
* PrecisionFStrike: From "Education"
--> All this dog and pony
--> Still monkeys the whole time!
--> We could not help from flinging shit
--> In our modern suit-and-ties!
* SchoolIsForLosers: "Education"
* SubduedSection: "Little Motel" and parts of "Missed the Boat"
** "March into the Sea" features some very soft-spoken lyrics and quiet instrumentals inbetween the incredibly violent, and loud, sections.
* SurprisinglyGentleSong: "Little Motel"