An Adult Alternative/pop rock band from California, consisting of Pat Monahan, Jimmy Stafford, and Scott Underwood. Signed to Creator/ColumbiaRecords since 1998, they have released six albums.
The band first made itself known in 1998 with "Free", and hit the Top 40 for the first time with "Meet Virginia" a year later. Their next two hits, "Drops of Jupiter" and "Calling All Angels", came in two year increments. Then in 2009, they made their big comeback with "Hey, Soul Sister", their most successful single to date. Since then, they've maintained a steady presence on the charts.
* BreakupSong: "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" is arguably a StealthParody of this trope.
* BlatantLies: "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" does not list 50 ways to say goodbye.
* TheFourChordsOfPop: "Hey, Soul Sister"
* NotStayingForBreakfast: "Drive By" is about how he regrets doing this.
* OneWomanSong: "Meet Virginia"
* RearrangeTheSong: "Hey, Soul Sister" was even sent to CountryMusic with mandolin, banjo and fiddle dubbed in.
* SillyLoveSongs: "Marry Me", "If It's Love"
* VocalEvolution: Pat Monahan's voice has gotten a ''lot'' higher.
* WordSaladLyrics: A recurring feature of their songs, particularly "Hey, Soul Sister" and "Drive By". WebVideo/ToddInTheShadows has joked that Pat Monahan is a schizophrenic with aphasia.
* WordSaladTitle: Bulletproof Picasso.