[[caption-width-right:349:Album art for ''Black and White'', showing the classic lineup[[note]](L-R) Jean-Jacques Burnel (bass), Hugh Cornwell (guitar), Jet Black (drums), Dave Greenfield (keyboards)[[/note]]]]
-->"''Whatever happened to all the heroes''
-->''No more heroes anymore''"
''The Stranglers'' are an English PunkRock band, best known as one of the first wave of British Punk bands in TheSeventies.
The band began several years before the Punk explosion in Britain, originating from prepunk Blues, Jazz and Psychedelic backgrounds; their sound was much more technically skilled and literate than their contemporaries, and they were one of the few Punk bands to make liberal use of keyboards. They also had what one music critic described as a Monty Python-esque sense of absurdity, which appeared to everyone else as abject sexism and racism. Regardless, they managed a loyal following and plenty of chart-success, while having a shaky relationship with the music press.
Their sound has changed over the years, becoming more experimental, then more pop accessible, and right back to a classic-era revival that they are currently going through now. Their classic lineup included Hugh Cornwell on guitar, Jean-Jacques Burnel on bass, Dave Greenfield on keyboards, and Jet Black on drums. Cornwell left the band in 1990, being briefly replaced by John Ellis from Music/TheVibrators before current guitarist Baz Warne settled in during 2000.
!!No More Tropes Anymore:
* BileFascination: [[invoked]] From "Ugly":
-->"I'd like to see a passionate film between the two ugliest people in the world. When I say 'ugly', I don't mean rough looking; I mean ''hideous''!"
* ConceptAlbum: ''The Gospel According to the Meninblack'', about alien visitation, the titular [[TheMenInBlack Men in Black]], and their connection to Biblical narratives.
* DeathSong: "Dagenham Dave", about a late friend of the band
* DisproportionateRetribution: From "Ugly":
-->"I guess I shouldn't have strangled her to death but\\
I had to go to work and she had laced my coffee with acid\\
Normally I wouldn't have minded, but I'm allergic to sulfuric acid\\
Besides, she had acne\\
And if you got acne, well, I apologize for disliking you intensely"
* GirlWatching: "Peaches"
* GratuitousFrench: "La Folie"
* GutturalGrowler: JJ Burnel
* IntercourseWithYou: "Bring on the Nubiles"
* LeadBassist: Burnel takes lead about as often as Cornwell in the early days. Even more so since Cornwell left.
* NewWaveMusic: One of the pioneers with their more melodic, keyboard-heavy take on Punk Rock.
* PsychedelicRock: A key part of their sound. One piece of promotional material described them as "Angry Psychedelia".
* PunkRock: Part of the first wave of British Punk Rock.
* StepUpToTheMicrophone: Keyboardist Dave Greenfield sings "Peasant in the Big Shitty", "Dead Ringer", "Do You Wanna", "Genetix", and "Four Horsemen".
* UncommonTime: "Peasant in the Big Shitty" is in 9/4.
* VisualPun: The cover art for ''Aural Sculpture'' is a sculpture of an ear.