[[caption-width-right:300:[[DownerEnding Three of]] [[AuthorExistenceFailure these guys]] [[ShootTheShaggyDog are dead.]]]]
The Exploding Hearts are '''THE''' most depressing story in PunkRock history, no exceptions. They formed in Seattle in 2001, and consisted of singer/guitarist Adam Cox, bassist Matt Fitzgerald, guitarist Terry Six, and drummer Jeremy Gage (TheOtherWiki lists three other names under "former members" but explains nothing about them).
They started out playing in small clubs throughout the town and got noticed quickly. Indie stations drooled over their music, while at the same time knowing full well their potential to sell out. Their catchy pop hooks gave them the possibility of becoming huge. They independently recorded ''Music/GuitarRomantic'' in 2003 and released to critical acclaim. The party wasn't going to last though.
In July 2003 their van veered out of control and rolled off the road. Cox and Gage were killed instantly and Fitzgerald died later at the hospital. Six was left with scratches and bruises. You may now cry your eyes out.
After the accident, Six returned to Portland and formed a band called The Nice Boys. The band released one album, ''The Nice Boys'', in 2006, but precious little since.
In 2006, the band's label issued ''Shattered'' which contained songs the band recorded during the sessions for the first album but intended for a second one, some singles and a couple rarities. Also included is a DVD containing five songs from their final show.
Their sound was very notable for bringing back the sound of Classic PunkRock from the TheSeventies and giving it a nice little kick of modern flair.
* ''Music/GuitarRomantic'' (2003)
!!The Exploding Hearts contain examples of the following tropes:
* AuthorExistenceFailure: So much for that second album being completed.
* BreakupSong: "Modern Kicks", "Jailbird", "Sleeping Aids And Razor Blades", and a lot more.
* DeadArtistsAreBetter: While its a great album that got a ton of critical acclaim upon release, you have to wonder if ''Music/GuitarRomantic'' would have gotten into all those Best Albums of the 2000's lists if the band had lived.
* EverybodysDeadDave: Terry Six. Just, Terry Six.
* KillEmAll: Quite possibly the most catastrophic instance of AuthorExistenceFailure in music.
* LyricalShoehorn: Why these guys loved to screw around with their lyrics will never be known.
* ObsessionSong: "Jailbird" and HOW!
* OneBookAuthor: ''Music/GuitarRomantic''.
* RhymingWithItself: To go with painful rhyme, they do this a lot too.
* ShootTheShaggyDog: Tragically so.
* ThreeChordsAndTheTruth: Should be self- explanatory. However, it should be noted that there were epic riffs to go with it.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Could have been rivals with Music/GreenDay and Music/Blink182 easily.