Rolo Tomassi are a [[NeoclassicalPunkZydecoRockabilly Progressive Hardcore]] band from [[OopNorth Sheffield, England]]. Their name is taken from the character in ''Film/LAConfidential''. They formed in 2005, consisting of Eva Spence (vocals), James Spence (vocals/synths), Ed Dutton (drums), Joe Nicholson (guitar) and Joe Thorpe (bass). The Joes left at the end of 2011 and were replaced by Nathan Fairweather (bass) and Chris Crayford (guitar)
* ''Hysterics'' (2008)
* ''Cosmology'' (2010)
* ''Astraea'' (2012)
!!Rolo Tomassi provides examples of these tropes
* BandOfRelatives: Type 1. Eva and James are brother and sister.
* EpicInstrumentalOpener: The synths-only opening to their second record, Katzenklavier.
* EpicRocking: Fantasia, the 14 minute long closer to Hysterics.
** They like long-ish album closers. Cosmology has [[TitleDrop Cosmology]] and Astraea has Illuminare, both of which are nearing on 8 minutes long.
* LighterAndSofter: The B-side to Old Mystics has [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQapUAVWmsM Mesmerizer]], which has Eva only using her clean vocals.
* MohsScaleOfRockAndMetalHardness: 8
* NeoclassicalPunkZydecoRockabilly: Their sound is mostly influenced by hardcore and metal, but there are also elements of dream-pop, jazz and prog.
* NonAppearingTitle: Bucket loads. It's hard to think when they do mention the song's title in the actual song, except in Party Wounds and Scabs.
* ScaryMusicianHarmlessMusic: Complete inversion; you'd assume from looking at them that they were a folk or indie rock band, yet their sound draws on mathcore, grind, harsh noise and hardcore. UK metal magazine called their early work more brutal than ''DyingFetus''.
* ShoutOut: Macarbe Charde is off of a line from ''PeepShow'' .
* SopranoAndGravel: Eva can both scream and sing sweetly.
* UnpluggedVersion: James's acoustic versions of Oh, Hello Ghost and Nine.
* VocalTagTeam: Fofteen, Party Wounds, Old Mystic, Macabre Charade...