[[caption-width-right:310:The first album. Left to right: Pete, Chrissie, Martin and James.]]
Pretenders is a British-American Music/NewWave band formed in 1978, and whose most famous lineup is made up of vocalist Chrissie Hynde, James Honeyman-Scott on guitar, Pete Farndon on bass and Martin Chambers on drums. Their first SelfTitledAlbum, from 1979, is often considered one of the foundation bricks of AlternativeRock as we know it.
Despite losing their guitarist and bassist at the peak of their success, the remaining living members went on with the band and released some more albums, got more singles on the charts... While at the same time changing members like one would clothes.
They were inducted (the original formation only) to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.
Discography of studio albums:
* ''Pretenders'' (1980)
* ''Pretenders II'' (1981)
* ''Learning to Crawl'' (1983)
* ''Get Close'' (1986)
* ''Packed!'' (1990)
* ''Last of the Independents'' (1994)
* ''Viva el Amor'' (1999)
* ''Loose Screw'' (2002)
* ''Break Up the Concrete'' (2008)
!!Pretenders provide examples of the following tropes:
* AuthorExistenceFailure: James Honeyman-Scott died in 1982 of cardiac arrest stemming from his use of cocaine. Averted with Pete Farndon, who died the next year, he had already been kicked out before Honeyman-Scott's death.
* BreakawayPopHit: "I'll Stand By You"
* ChristmasSongs: "2000 Miles" from ''Learning to Crawl'', as well as their cover of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" on one of the ''Very Special Christmas'' charity compilations.
* EpicRocking: "Private Life". "Up the Neck" also gets extended past the 6-minute mark in live shows.
* FingerlessGloves: Chrissie wears them on the cover of the first album.
* GranolaGirl: Chrissie is vegetarian (she even owns a vegan restaurant in Akron, OH) and supports animal rights. It was her love of animal rights that caused her to allow RushLimbaugh to continue using "My City Was Gone" after initially balking at it; she donates the licence fees to PETA (who Rush sided with against the EPA on animal testing).
* GriefSong: "Back on the Chain Gang", about fallen member James Honeyman Scott
* PrecisionFStrike: "Precious" is a famous example.
* RevolvingDoorBand: Between ''Learning to Crawl'' (the first album after JHS and Pete Farndon's deaths) and ''Last of the Independents'', no two studio albums had the same lineup. Their record of holding a lineup is three albums, between ''Last...'' (1994) and ''Loose Screw'' (2002), with guitarist Adam Seymour and drummer Andy Hobson joining the other two original members.
** ThePeteBest: Many, as a result of this trope. Among them, [[TheSmiths Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke]].
* SelfTitledAlbum: The first one.
* WorkingOnTheChainGang: Though not literally about this, "Back on the Chain Gang" does reference Sam Cooke's [[TropeNamer trope-naming]] tune in its chorus. (''"Hooh! Aaah!"'')