'''Hootie & the Blowfish''' were a rock band founded in 1986 by Darius Rucker, Dean Felber, Jim Sonefeld and Mark Bryan. They broke through in 1994 with the album ''Cracked Rear View'', one of the best-selling albums in the history of American music (it sold over 16 million copies). It also produced four big pop hits in "Hold My Hand", "Let Her Cry", "Only Wanna Be with You" and "Time", and won the band the 1996 Grammy Award for Best New Artist.
Although followup ''Fairweather Johnson'' was also a decent enough seller, it produced only one big hit. Following ''Musical Chairs'', the band went on hiatus (with both Bryan and Rucker releasing solo albums), and then came back with ''Scattered, Smothered and Covered'', a compilation which produced no singles. The band left Atlantic Records after a self-titled album in 2003, but came back in 2005 with ''Looking for Lucky'' on Vanguard Records.
Darius Rucker began a rather successful CountryMusic career in 2008, but he continues to tour occasionally with his bandmates, and he performs several Hootie-era songs during his solo concerts.
* Darius Rucker — lead vocals, guitar
* Mark Bryan — guitar
* Dean Felber — bass, backing vocals
* Jim "Sone" Sonefeld — drums
* ''Cracked Rear View'' (1994)
* ''Fairweather Johnson'' (1996)
* ''Musical Chairs'' (1998)
* ''Hootie & the Blowfish'' (2003)
* ''Looking for Lucky'' (2005)
!!"I wanna trope you the best that/The best that I can":
* BaldBlackLeaderGuy: Darius.
* EveryoneWentToSchoolTogether: The members met as freshmen at the University of South Carolina.
* GenreShift: Darius' successful transition to a country music star.
* NonIndicativeName: The band was named for two friends. As a result, many people erroneously call Darius Rucker, "Hootie", and the rest of the band, "the Blowish".
* SelfTitledAlbum: Strangely, their ''last'' album for Atlantic.
* ShoutOut: "Only Wanna Be with You", to Music/BobDylan's "Idiot Wind" and "Tangled Up in Blue". There is also a line referencing the [[UsefulNotes/NationalFootballLeague Miami Dolphins]], Rucker's favorite team.
* TrueCompanions: Talking about their early days playing Southern bars, many members of the band found themselves unpleasantly surprised at how much racism there still was out there, and often found themselves getting into fights with patrons who were not shy about dropping the N-word around Darius.
-->'''Jim Sonefeld:''' Wanna see me [[BerserkButton start swingin'?]] Use that word around me.