Die Toten Hosen (lit. "The Dead Trousers") are a German punk band formed in 1982. Their name comes from a slang term ("tote Hose") for nothing going on, which was their opinion on the German music scene at the time. Through the years, they've been one of Germany's most successful acts, and with 15 studio albums to date, also one of the most prolific. The band members are most known by their stage names: Campino, Kuddel, Andi, Breiti, and Vom (singer, guitarist, bassist, guitarst, and drummer, respectively). The former drummer, Wölli, left the band due to injuries. The discography in chronological order is as follows:
* Unter falscher Flagge ("Under flase flag")
* Damenwahl ("Choice of ladies")
* Never Mind the Hosen, Here's Die Roten Rosen
* Ein kleines bisschen Horrorschau ("A little bit of horrorshow")
* Auf dem Kreuzzug ins Glück ("On the crusade for happiness")
* Learning English Lesson 1
* Kauf MICH! ("Buy ME!")
* Opium fürs Volk ("Opium for the people"[[note]]This is the saying by Lenin. The original saying by Karl Marx is "Opium ''des'' Volkes" ("Opium ''of the'' people")[[/note]])
* Wir warten auf's Christkind... ("Waiting for Baby Jesus")
* Unsterblich ("Immortal")
* Auswärtsspiel ("Away game")
* Zurück zum Glück ("Back to happiness")
* In aller Stille ("In complete silence")
* Ballast der Republik ("Dead weight of the Republic")
While some of their songs are irreverent and just for fun, a lot of them have political and social messages contained. Most often you will find songs decrying racism, xenophobia, corruption, and blind religious faith. The album Opium fürs Volk (Opium for the People) features heavy criticism of the Ten Commandments and the idea of paradise especially. Several of their songs also touch on more sensitive topics, often in order to bring more attention to a particular issue - with their fanbase, it can have quite an effect.
They're also very popular in South America for some reason, though given how much that region loves its rock music, this should come as no real surprise.
Tropes in their works include:
DrinkingSong: Zehn Kleine Jägermeister and Eisgekühlter Bommerlunder among them.
MyCountryRightOrWrong: Somewhat of an example with "1000 Gute Gründe" which mentions many reasons Germany is great, but ends with them unable to really think of one at that particular moment.