[[caption-width:345:Candlemass - epic ''and'' depressing at the same time.]]
Candlemass is a Swedish DoomMetal band formed in 1985 by bassist Leif Edling. One of [[TropeCodifier trope codifier]]s of doom metal, and particularly of a subgenre called "epic doom metal", their first album ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus'' is not only considered a landmark album but the textbook example of doom metal. They disbanded in 1993, but reformed four years later with a new lineup (Leif Edling being the only consistent member). A past lineup of Candlemass then reformed in 2002, before breaking up again... and reforming [[OverlyLongGag again]] in 2004.
* Mats Levén (formerly of Therion) - vocals
* Lars Johansson - lead guitar
* Mats "Mappe" Björkman - rhythm guitar
* Leif Edling - bass
* Jan Lindh - drums
* Johan Längqvist - vocals
* Matz Ekström - drums
* Thomas Vikström - vocals
* Björn Flodkvist - vocals
* Jejo Perkovic - drums
* Mats Ståhl - rhythm guitar
* Messiah Marcolin - vocals
* Robert Lowe (of Solitude Aeturnus) - vocals
* a load of session musicians
* ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus'' - 1986
* ''Nightfall'' - 1987
* ''Ancient Dreams'' - 1988
* ''Tales of Creation'' - 1989
* ''Chapter VI'' - 1992
* ''Dactylis Glomerata'' - 1998
* ''From the 13th Sun'' - 1999
* ''[[SelfTitledAlbum Candlemass]]'' - 2005
* ''King of the Grey Islands'' - 2007
* ''Death Magic Doom'' - 2009
* ''Psalms for the Dead'' - 2012
Candlemass provides the following trope examples:
* CanisLatinicus: ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus''.
* CoverVersion: Vaguely; the last track on ''Ancient Dreams'' is a medley of Music/BlackSabbath songs.
* DoomMetal: Of the "traditional doom metal" variety, or more specifically, "epic doom metal".
* EpicRocking: The majority of their output.
* FourMoreMeasures: On "A Sorcerer's Pledge", Johan starts singing as soon as guitar starts, then hums for a while and starts again, this time correctly. [[WordOfGod According to Leif]], it was a soundcheck that they [[ThrowItIn kept in]].
* IAmTheBand: Leif Edling is the sole consistent member of the band, and is in a way the leader.
* LargeHam: Messiah Marcolin.
* MohsScaleOfRockAndMetalHardness: For the most part, they've stuck to an 8 throughout their career. Some of their gentler songs qualify as 7, though.
* OutOfGenreExperience: "Into The Unfathomed Tower" from ''Tales of Creation'' sounds more like Music/YngwieMalmsteen than the usual doomy fare.
* RhymingWithItself: The word "life" is used to rhyme with itself in the final verse of "At The Gallows End".
* TropeCodifier: They're not the first doom metal band and not the only codifiers of the genre, but they were responsible for many of the stereotypical characteristics associated with it. Since they were, arguably, the most popular doom metal band (unless you count Music/BlackSabbath), they were highly influential on later bands.
* TropeMaker: Of "epic doom metal".