[[caption-width:345:Candlemass - epic ''and'' depressing at the same time.]]
Candlemass is a Swedish DoomMetal band formed in 1985 by bassist Leif Edling. The [[TropeCodifier trope codifier]]s of doom metal, and particularly of a subgenre called "epic doom metal", their first album ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus'' is not only considered a landmark album but the textbook example of doom metal. They disbanded in 1993, but reformed four years later with a new lineup (Leif Edling being the only consistent member). A past lineup of Candlemass then reformed in 2002, before breaking up again... and reforming [[OverlyLongGag again]] in 2004.
* Mats Levén (formerly of Therion) - vocals
* Lars Johansson - lead guitar
* Mats "Mappe" Björkman - rhythm guitar
* Leif Edling - bass
* Jan Lindh - drums
* Johan Längqvist - vocals
* Matz Ekström - drums
* Thomas Vikström - vocals
* Björn Flodkvist - vocals
* Jejo Perkovic - drums
* Mats Ståhl - rhythm guitar
* Messiah Marcolin - vocals
* Robert Lowe (of Solitude Aeturnus) - vocals
* a load of session musicians
* ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus'' - 1986
* ''Nightfall'' - 1987
* ''Ancient Dreams'' - 1988
* ''Tales of Creation'' - 1989
* ''Chapter VI'' - 1992
* ''Dactylis Glomerata'' - 1998
* ''From the 13th Sun'' - 1999
* ''[[SelfTitledAlbum Candlemass]]'' - 2005
* ''King of the Grey Islands'' - 2007
* ''Death Magic Doom'' - 2009
* ''Psalms for the Dead'' - 2012
Candlemass provides the following trope examples:
* CanisLatinicus: ''Epicus Doomicus Metallicus''.
* CoverVersion: Vaguely; the last track on ''Ancient Dreams'' is a medley of Music/BlackSabbath songs.
* EpicRocking: The majority of their output.
* IAmTheBand: Leif Edling is the sole consistent member of the band, and is in a way the leader.
* LargeHam: Messiah Marcolin.
* MohsScaleOfRockAndMetalHardness: For the most part, they've stuck to an 8 throughout their career. Some of their gentler songs qualify as 7, though.
* RhymingWithItself: The word "life" is used to rhyme with itself in the final verse of "At The Gallows End".
* TropeCodifier: Of doom metal; they're easily the most popular of the doom metal bands, too (unless you count Music/BlackSabbath as a doom metal band).
* TropeMaker: Of "epic doom metal".