Azealia Amanda Banks (born May 31, 1991) is an American rapper and singer, who rose to fame after her music video "212" [[MemeticMutation went viral]] in late 2011. Her wild persona and explicit rapping style have put her in direct comparison by critics and bloggers to fellow female rapper NickiMinaj; the two even attended the same high school, albeit in different years. After a failed record deal with XL, Azealia signed to Universal in 2012, but since they put her debut album under DevelopmentHell, she became independent and released her debut album 'Broke With Expensive Taste' out of nowhere in November 2014.
* ''Fantasea'' (2012)
* ''1991'' EP (2012)
* ''Broke With Expensive Taste'' (2014)
!!Azealia Banks provides examples of:
* [[AscendedFanboy Ascended Fangirl]]: Azealia has been said to be a big Music/BlocParty fan; [[RecordProducer Bloc Party's frequent collaborator, Paul Epworth]], is producing her debut album. "Bambi" is the first-released fruit of their labor.
* BigApplesauce: Azealia was born in raised in New York City, something she brags about in "Bambi". She refers to it quite a few times in her music like in "Luxury" and "212" the latter being one of the area codes of Manhattan.
* BoastfulRap: Lots and lots of this.
* ButNotTooBlack: Not an example herself, but she has cited this as the reason for her lack of commercial success compared to lighter-skinned female musicians and spoken about darker-skinned women like herself being mistreated in society. In 2016 she [[http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/06/azealia-banks-confirms-bleaching-her-skin-with-controversial-whitenicious-products/ confirmed rumors]] that she is bleaching her skin, unfortunately bringing her closer to a straight example.
* CatchPhrase: The ''"I guess that cunt getting' eaten"'' line in "212", arguably. [[TheMerch You can even purchase a shirt with the lyric on it]] [[https://shop.bompa.com/azealia_banks/ here]].
* TheCameo: Azealia lends some uncredited vocals to the ScissorSisters' "Shady Love".
* CountryMatters: ''Notorious'' for using this extensively.
* DreamTeam: She and Music/LanaDelRey have been rumored to be working with one another; Azealia most recently lent vocals to a remix of Lana's "Blue Jeans", which was co-produced by [[Music/FosterThePeople Mark Foster]].
* EroticEating: She does this with a hot dog, lollipop, and popsicle in the "Liquorice" video.
* FakeLoud: The muffled/distorted screaming in the chorus of "Yung Rapunxel".
* FreestyleVersion: She freestyled over "Harlem Shake" in 2013.
* GameFace: She gives a rather impressive one in "Ice Princess", so much so that it's used for the banner for her Vevo channel.
* GoldDigger: Describes ''herself'' as one in "[=L8R=]":
-->No fronting, itís about his paper
-->[[AllTakeAndNoGive He a giver, Iím a taker]], and a fibber, and a faker
-->You gotta spend a lot for this behavior
-->If it ainít about a dollar, Iím a holla at you later
* IconicOutfit: The MickeyMouse sweater she wears in the "212" video; [[https://twitter.com/#!/azealiassweater it even has its own Twitter page!]]
* PhraseSaladLyrics: Parts of "Idle Delilah" fall into this:
-->Idlest Delilah, darling, do ya like beige in your coffee? Tea?
-->A wild... wild breeze on a day, a dawn
-->Oft' indeed a child, smiles at me cause I'm made of yarn
-->Dolly, me? Am I? I'll trade a dollar for ya dime, oh
-->Idlest Delilah, trout and trees remind me of my Darling D the Diver
-->Diver D was a satyr - a father figurine
-->I made him run away with his stale lung
-->Folly me am I? Oh, idol-less Delilah
* RefugeInAudacity: And ''how''. Azealia has no filter in her music or in general, which is best seen in the form of her many, many, ''many'' beefs.
* ShakingTheRump: From "Runnin'":
-->You be handful of scrilla while I'm jiggling the buns
-->I can stop moving - [[still RhymingWithItself jiggling the buns]]
* [[SirSwearsALot Miss Swears-a-Lot]]: The amount of lines in 212 not featuring at least one cuss-word and/or sexual reference can probably be counted on one hand. And that's just the one song.
-->"Iím a rude bitch, nigga!"
** On iTunes every song from ''Broke With Expensive Taste'' comes with an explicit language warning.
* StepfordSmiler: "Soda" speaks on this topic and self-medicating to deal with depression.
-->A smile, a guise
-->I'm trying to hide behind tired eyes, I sigh
* TakeThat: Many have speculated that "212" is a dig at NickiMinaj, but Azealia said that it's not the case.
* TooManyMouths: The video and the cover of "YUNG RAPUNXEL" show Azealia with mouths instead of eyes. [[NightmareFuel Terrifying]].
* YourCheatingHeart: "NEEDSUMLUV" is about being the other woman.
* TheWestern: The "Liquorice" video.