''Variante'' is a horror manga by IkuraSugimoto. When Hosho Aiko is killed, she should be dead. Instead, she wakes up three days later in the morgue, with a shiny new monstrous arm. Quickly confronted by the monster that killed her parents, she learns that this arm is perhaps the only weapon in the world capable of cleanly handling the creatures.
Of course, this makes her very interesting to a certain government funded company that is dedicated to keeping the monsters covered up, and cleaning up after them.
Having seemingly everything robbed from her, Aiko must decide whether she wants to die as a specimen, or live fighting the monsters, and her resolve is constantly put to the test as conspiracies and, ultimately, the truth behind the monsters is revealed.
!!This manga provide examples of:
** It's implied that [[spoiler:Chimera are completely aware, but are in extreme pain and unable to control themselves.]]
** [[spoiler: Nana was kept alive for fourteen years after she was shot]]
* BackFromTheDead - And its not exactly a happy moment.
** She has a freaking monster arm [[spoiler:that eats small dogs]]. And the arm is really tame compared to most of the rest of the series.
** The Chimaira are pretty much predatory Body Horrors.
* DefectorFromDecadence: [[spoiler: Sera AKA Oumi Yuji.]]
* DownerEnding - YMMV, but it can certainly be interpreted as depressing.
* ExtremeDoormat: Aiko. She pretty much lives her entire life trying to please everyone around her.[[spoiler: She gets better by the end.]]
* EyeScream - Nana.
* HeroicBSOD: Aiko goes through quite a few. But the biggest one comes after [[spoiler: she discovers that chimaera are humans.]]
* HopeSpot: Just when you think Aiko will have a friend to support her through all this madness, [[spoiler: Sachi dies.]]
* ImmuneToBullets - There's a reason Aiko has to fight the Chimera.
* [[spoiler: LukeIAmYourFather: By way of memory recollection. Aiko's real father was a chimera and the one that killed her real mother and adoptive parents. His arm grafted itself to her to protect her.]]
* MoodWhiplash: [[spoiler: Sachi. Just... just Sachi.]]
* UnsoundEffect - "Reach", "Grab"
* WhatMeasureIsANonHuman: [[spoiler: The chimeras used to be humans. This revelation triggers Aiko's above HeroicBSOD.]]