Long ago, in the far reaches of space, there existed a world as pure and blue as the Earth. And on this world, there lived two "Queens" with the power to control it. When the world is thrown into chaos by one of those queens, a young boy and a young girl must stand up to challenge her for the sake of protecting all that they hold dear.
Tropes found in ''Tail Star'':
* ACupAngst: On the Black Queen but it is not played for laughs at all. Its part of why she resents her counterpart so much.
* AChildShallLeadThem: Sanagi [[spoiler: the only living tail-hunter]] and Mayu [[spoiler: the future White Queen]].
* AnyoneCanDie: [[spoiler: Aside from the Elder, Sanagi, Mayu, and about a dozen others (mostly children), everyone in Ageha Village is graphically murdered about two chapters after we meet them.]]
* AttackItsWeakPoint: The tail of serves at this for the King Tails.
* AttackTheTail: Shooting Stars have giant tails growing from the back of their heads that serve both as weapons and weak points.
* BigBad: [[GodSaveUsFromTheQueen The Black Queen.]]
* Badass: Many to count, but Fuji Kinzan is the most obvious example.
* BalanceBetweenGoodandEvil [[spoiler: Over use of the Queens powers will slowly destroy the world as long as a white queen is not there to nullify the black queen ]].
* ColorCodedForYourConvenience: The Queens.
* ChessMotif: There's also a White Queen.
** LightIsGood, DarkIsEvil / ColorCodedForYourConvenience
* DarkIsEvil: The unambiguously evil Black Queen is a completely black spider-woman hybrid.
* ElevatorActionSequence: The Black Queen's followers enclose a large area around Ageha within a giant wall to make sure no survivors escape, but the normal people living there are given a single elevator to take to the outside. You do the math.
* ElevatorEscape: See ElevatorActionSequence
* UltimateJobSecurity : [[spoiler: Averted as the Black Queen will order your death if you overstep your position.]]
* DrivenByEnvy: The Black Queen.
* Dystopia: [[spoiler: After the surviving citizens of Ageha escape]], the Black Queen causes an eternal winter.
* DownerBeginning: The story begins with the White Queen's death.
* CombatTentacles / LivingWeapon / PrehensileHair: The King Tails have a tail attached to their heads that can be used like an EpicFlail or [[WhipItGood a whip]]. The tails are extremely hard to cut and [[spoiler: can cause a mental breakdown if severed. ONE Star soldier killed almost everyone in Ageha, and all the tail-hunters, and it's implied he wasn't even that high a ranker]].
* EliteMooks : There are twenty-four ranks of Shooting Star warriors working for the Black Queen, with the Comets being the highest ranking.
** The 34 King Tail Hunters of Ageha are legendary masters able to fight on even footing with the shooting stars
* IWillOnlySlowYouDown: Sanagi parents are just about to do this but then they are saved.
* InTheHood: All of the Tail Hunters.
* KnowWhenToFoldEm: When the group meets Meganeshu again, they are just about to attack him... but luckily they decide against it, even if it means to let the man who killed almost everyone in the village alive.
* LoweredMonsterDifficulty: After the Time Skip, both Sanagi and Torinos are seen handling tails quite easily. Justified since they went through a training from hell.
* MaskPower / TheFaceless: The Elder. [[spoiler: Until recently. It's implied the other survivors had no idea what she looked like.]] The Black Queen also wears some sort of mask.
* MeaningfulName: Ageha means butterfly; [[spoiler: future White Queen]] Mayu means cocoon.
** [[http://www.mangainn.com/manga/chapter/96071_the-queen-s-justice/page_20 All the King Tails are named after comets and astronomers.]]
* Night-Invulnerability: All of the comets are this, even if you harm their tails.
* NoNonsenseNemesis: ALL of the bad guys. Luckily the heroes are very tough.
* NoOneGetsLeftBehind: Sanagi concludes this after the first Black Queen attack.
* UnfortunateName: The Black Queen's guards are known as [[spoiler: The Queen's hymen]].
* TheMole: [[spoiler: Imperial fighter Yaeha, who's also deceased tail-hunter Sam's sister.]]
* MoodWhiplash: The art is incredibly cute and then [[spoiler: Ageha Village is slaughtered.]]
* NippleAndDimed: Completely averted with Mayu.
* OneManArmy / PersonOfMassDestruction / SuperSoldier: The King Tails.
* PretextForWar: The Black Queen kills one of her own soldier with an Ageha weapon and uses the body as an excuse to wipe the whole kingdom off.
* SigilSpam: The Ageha (Butterfly) motif. [[spoiler: The villagers ditch everything butterfly-related so they can hide among other refugees.]]
* TheOrder: The Tail Hunters, and especially the King Tail Hunters. They are pretty much lost.
* TheEmpire: Originally there were two kingdoms of light and dark. However after the White Queens demise the kingdom of light surrendered and were either destroyed or incorporated into the dark kingdom forming the current empire.
* TimeSkip: Chapter seventeen takes place after a five-year time skip.
* ThisMeansWar: The Dark Queen. Its an excuse to prevent the White Queen from being reborn.
* ThoseWereOnlyTheirScouts: After Sanagi manages to defeat Meganeshu, he´s told that he is just a normal shooting star solider... A simple pawn.
* TrainingFromHell: What Fuji inflicts on all the Ageha children.
* WeaponOfChoice: Tail Hunters use small, round axes.
* WhipSword: Yaeha keeps a whip-like katana(s) up her very tight sleeve.
* WorldOfBadass: Pretty much.
* YouHaveFailedMe: Do not presume to know what the Black Queen thinks!
* ZeroApprovalRating: Averted with the Black Queen. While she is ruthless, her kingdom seems to have no troubles and her servants do love her.