''Hyouge Mono'' is one of the Spring 2011 anime series. Based on the manga by Yoshihiro Yamada, In the age of civil war, when the shadow of Nobunaga Oda was still cast over the land, the warlord Furuta Sasuke lost his soul to the tea ceremony. While war shook the world around him, he faced his own conflict between his desire for promotion and his love for his art.
Animated by Creator/BeeTrain produced for [=NHK=] Network.
!!Tropes used by the series:
* BeenThereShapedHistory: [[spoiler:Master of Tea Ceremony Rikyuu]] is the one who convince Akechi Mitsuhide and [[spoiler:Toyotomi Hideyoshi]] [[TheStarscream to betray Nobunaga Oda]] and he is the one behind many important events in history.
* BlasphemousBoast: Nobunaga has no less than three. First, while boasting his intention to conquer mainland China, India, and beyond to become '''God'''. Second while referencing story of Tower of Babylon, he says because he is neither king nor general, he will sill climb higher. Third while referencing Hannibal Barca of Carthago, he claims he is undefeated unlike Hannibal.
* CulturedWarrior-s: Many military officers either have interest or skilled in court etiquette in general and tea ceremony in particular. This rather enrage Merchant Souji who states warriors only imitates what the merchants have done.
* TheDandy: Some of Oda Clan members and Toyotomi Hideyoshi always dress in latest style. The protagonist himself knows taste and do it if occasion and budget permits.
* DirtyCoward: Some named warriors choose life over honor and do some "dishonorable acts" to achieve that. Yet this manga doesn't condemn them and paint them bad for their choice.
--> Araki Murashige: As long as I stay alive, I can continue to enjoy that life has to offer which is more can be said for Nobunaga.
* EtTuBrute: Nobunaga at Honnoji was killed by his trusted man but doesn't mind at all.
* EveryoneHasStandards: [[spoiler:Hideyoshi]] cannot bring himself to betray another of his protector after his betrayal to Nobunaga despite how much it will benefit him.
** Oda Nobunaga offers the man who slashed his belly a cup of his spilled blood in place of "emergency tea ceremony" and states to the man he does not hold any grudges as their relationship is of "give and take".
** Mitsuhde Akechi too.
--> Nobunaga Oda: ''(After his torso reattach itself by sheer willpower and later has a chat and "emergency tea ceremony". Yes, this long paragraph is his last words after mortally wounded. All of them.)'' '''YOUR BLADE IS TOO SHODDY!''' Have a seat, (killer). I think I understand why it came this way but I favored my sons too much. That is one thing that I cannot control. I have known many people throughout my life. My relationship with everyone of them can be broken down to one-sided plunder or lavish generosity but with you, (killer), it was ''dar e receber'' (Por: Give and Take). That is relationship I wanted to build with all people. Do you grasp my meaning? .... 'Tis love.
--> Mitsuhide Akechi: A haiku. ''Be somber, moon / I shall tell the story of Akechi's wife / ... '' and ''There is no need for final verse.''
* Gratuitous Portuguese: Nobunaga peppers his speech with Portuguese words.
* HumanityIsFlawed: People is shown as greedy, short-sighted, or hold many other vices but one can also find satisfaction, serenity, chivalry, and any other virtues with efforts.
* ImpossiblyCoolClothes: [[http://www.mangatown.com/manga/hyougemono/v01/c007/12.html Downplayed with Oda Nagamasu here.]] His Outfits are ''usual'' high quality Japanese robe and a turban. The observer gave him scores [[UpToEleven 6 of 5]].
* TheLastDJ: How this series portray Mitsuhide as he is one of few who is steadfast, humble, and chivalric high noble in the changing time.
* ManipulativeBastard: [[spoiler:Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Master Rikyuu. Hideyoshi]] persuades Akechi Mtsuhide to rebel but abandon him as soon as rabellion starts. [[spoiler:Master Rikyuu]] is the one who convince the former to wrest power, basically TheManBehindTheMan Behind The Man.
* MistreatmentInducedBetrayal: Small wonder in this manga for Akechi and his clan rebel, as what await them after unification is "present" of (by that time) barren territory Kanto. See, YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness below.
** [[spoiler:Rikyuu chides Hideyoshi]] for not ruling the court and states he is just imitation of Oda Nobunaga unless he grows his power and vision more.
** Rikyuu scolds Sasuke for his incomplete understanding of simplicity.
* SimpleYetAwesome: Oribe Furuta starts to learn Minimalism (or "Simplicity" in the setting) because how he can look classy with minimum budget.
* UpToEleven: In Chapter 7, observer gave Oda Nagamasu's [[ImpossiblyCoolClothes attire]] scores 6 of 5.
** [[spoiler:Master Rikyuu]] drops one to Furuta Sasuke in chapter 75 to convince Sasuke to detach from him.
--> [[spoiler:Master Rikyuu]]: [[spoiler:I used Chief Advisor to kill Nobunaga.]]
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: As Oda Nobunaga nearly completes unification of Japan, threat of this tropes haunts many of his vassals. This trope what [[spoiler:Toyotomi Hideyoshi]] use to persuade Akechi Mtsuhide to rebel.
---> Takigawa Kizumasu (quoting Chinese Proverb): "When the rabbit dies, the hound is cooked."